Port Noarlunga South, South Australia
|Port Noarlunga South
Adelaide, South Australia
|Population||2,734 (2016 census)|
|Location||30 km (19 mi) from Adelaide|
|LGA(s)||City of Onkaparinga|
Port Noarlunga South is a suburb in the Australian state of South Australia located in the Adelaide metropolitan area on the coastline of Gulf St Vincent about 30 kilometres (19 miles) south of the state capital of Adelaide.
Port Noarlunga South started as a private sub-division in 1923 with portions gazetted with the names Paringa and Port Onkaparinga. A portion of land was added to the suburb in 1960 from an area known as Onkaparinga and was subsequently removed in 1995 to create the suburb of Seaford Meadows. In April 2001, the Southport Surf Life Saving Club submitted a proposal to rename parts of both the suburbs of Port Noarlunga and Port Noarlunga South as Southport. However, this proposal was withdrawn in August 2001 following discussions with the City of Onkaparinga regarding "locational identification issues " and replace with a request to "investigate the naming of Southport Beach."
Port Noarlunga South is bounded by the centre of the channel of the Onkaparinga River to the north, the coastline with Gulf St Vincent to the west, Aldam Road to the South and to the east by Commercial Road in part in the south, the centre of the Onkaparinga River in part and a line connecting both parts. Land use within the suburb consists of residential on its west side and 'open space' for land located within the Onkaparinga River Recreation Park on its east side.
Onkaparinga Community Playground
At the northern end of the suburb, there is a large community playground located on land bounded by Saltfeet Street to the west and the River Onkaparinga in the east. This is a community built playground and as such is unique to South Australia. The sum of A$250 000 was raised from community sponsorship before the playground was built using community labour over the period of 18–23 June 2002. This project began after research by "Living Neighbourhood" in the suburb of Christies Beach. There was a public meeting, after which a non-profit incorporated body was formed for the project. As of 2013, the City of Onkaparinga had not decided on an official name with the result that the following names are in use - Jubilee Park and A E Young Reserve names by the South Australian government and Adventure Playground in use by the local community.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Port Noarlunga South (State Suburb)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 14 January 2018.
- "Search result for "Port Noarlunga South (SUB)" (Record no. SA0040640) with the following layers selected - "Suburbs and Localities" and " Place names (gazetteer)"". Property Location Browser. Government of South Australia. Retrieved 2 November 2016.
- "Port Noarlunga South, South Australia (Postcode)". postcodes-australia.com. Retrieved 2 November 2016.
- "Southern Adelaide SA Government region" (PDF). The Government of South Australia. Retrieved 17 April 2017.
- "Search result for "County of Adelaide, CNTY" with the following data sets selected - "Counties" and "Local Government Areas"". Property Location SA Map Viewer. Government of South Australia. Retrieved 24 April 2017.
- "Electoral district of Kaurna, 2014 State election boundaries". ELECTORAL COMMISSION SA. Retrieved 11 October 2016.
- "Map of the Federal division of Kingston" (PDF). Australian Electoral Commission. 2011. Retrieved 28 July 2015.
- "City of Onkaparinga suburb boundaries map". City of Onkaparinga. 9 January 2014. Retrieved 8 October 2014.[permanent dead link]
- "Monthly climate statistics: Summary statistics Noarlunga (nearest weather station)". Commonwealth of Australia , Bureau of Meteorology. Retrieved 11 October 2016.
- "Search result for "Jubilee Park (Reserve)" (Record no. SA0067248) with the following layers selected - "Suburbs and Localities" and " Place names (gazetteer)"". Property Location Browser. Government of South Australia. Retrieved 13 November 2016.
|This article about a place in Adelaide is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|