Port Phillip Prison
|Security class||Maximum (Male)|
|Capacity||1072, as at 30 June 2014|
|Managed by||G4S Australia Pty Ltd|
Coordinates: Port Phillip Prison is a maximum security prison located at Truganina, Victoria, Australia. It is Victoria's largest prison, able to accommodate up to 1087 prisoners. The prison is privately operated on behalf of the Government of Victoria by G4S Australia Pty Ltd.
Construction and history
Construction began in 1994 and was completed in 1996. Originally called Port Phillip Correctional Centre, the facility was the third privately operated prison to open in Victoria. It received its first prisoners on 10 September 1997. General Manager was forced to resign in April 2016 due to a Corrections Victoria investigation into gun licences.
The prison consists of 13 accommodation units including a youth unit named Penine for young adult inmates aged 18–25 who are first time offenders only with no criminal record. All other under 25 prisoners are sent to mainstream units. The induction unit named Matilda is divided into 2 all prisoners spend time there before being located other units. Matilda is a fairly new and modern unit however all the other units are old and uncomfortable to live in. Port Philip Prison has been nicknamed Port Putrid due to the filth. Cells within the units have a shower, hand basin, toilet, desk, chair, television, kettle, storage shelves, intercom and bed.
The prison operates a 20-bed inpatient hospital unit.
- Julian Knight, perpetrator of the infamous 1987 Hoddle Street massacre 
- Jason Joseph Roberts. Roberts was convicted of the Silk-Miller police murders. 
- "Port Phillip Prison". G4S. Retrieved 2011-10-27.
- "Port Phillip Prison". Department of Justice, Victoria. Retrieved 2011-10-27.
- Private Contract Management of Prisons – Exploring Key Policy and Implementation Issues (PDF). Australian Institute of Criminology. 16–17 June 1997. p. 145. Retrieved 2011-10-27.
- "DPP v Debs & Roberts  VSC 30 (24 February 2003)". Retrieved 4 December 2015.
- "Minister wants answers on police killer's model role". Retrieved 4 December 2015.