Port Vue, Pennsylvania
Location in Allegheny County and the state of Pennsylvania
|• Total||1.1 sq mi (3 km2)|
|• Land||1.1 sq mi (3 km2)|
|• Water||0.04 sq mi (0.1 km2)|
|• Density||3,500/sq mi (1,300/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|Website||Borough of Port Vue|
Port Vue is located in western Pennsylvania along the Youghiogheny River near its confluence with the more navigable Monongahela River. It is bounded by McKeesport to the north, Liberty to the east, Elizabeth to the south and Glassport to the west.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the borough has a total area of 1.1 square miles (2.8 km2), of which 0.04 square miles (0.10 km2), or 3.54%, is water.
Port Vue Police Dept. is based at 1194 Romine Ave. in Port Vue. PVPD has 11 part-time officers, 1 full-time officer, 1 Lieutenant and 1 chief who is currently Bryan R. Myers. It was founded in 1956. At that time it had the chief and 4 part-time officers.
Origin of Borough: In 1891, approximately 500 residents of Lincoln Township decided to create a new borough. They met in a school house on the old Edmundson farm, and initially thought of naming the new borough "Grandview." However, because of the beautiful view of the port that McKeesport maintained on the Youghiogheny River, they agreed on Port Vue instead. Since then, war veterans and coal miners commonly lived in Port Vue.
Port Vue Borough was incorporated 9/20/1892.
As of the census of 2000, there were 4,228 people, 1,826 households, and 1,194 families residing in the borough. The population density was 3,858.4 people per square mile (1,484.0/km²). There were 1,940 housing units at an average density of 1,770.4 per square mile (680.9/km²). The racial makeup of the borough was 98.75% White, 0.69% African American, 0.02% Native American, 0.02% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 0.12% from other races, and 0.38% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.76% of the population.
There were 1,826 households out of which 24.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 48.4% were married couples living together, 12.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 34.6% were non-families. 31.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 17.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.30 and the average family size was 2.87.
In the borough the population was spread out with 20.9% under the age of 18, 7.0% from 18 to 24, 25.7% from 25 to 44, 22.4% from 45 to 64, and 24.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 43 years. For every 100 females there were 92.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 89.4 males.
The median income for a household in the borough was $31,509, and the median income for a family was $37,318. Males had a median income of $31,680 versus $23,203 for females. The per capita income for the borough was $16,065. About 7.7% of families and 10.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 22.2% of those under age 18 and 5.1% of those age 65 or over.
- "Race, Hispanic or Latino, Age, and Housing Occupancy: 2010 Census Redistricting Data (Public Law 94-171) Summary File (QT-PL), Port Vue borough, Pennsylvania". U.S. Census Bureau, American FactFinder 2. Retrieved September 21, 2011.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2014". Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "Population-Pennsylvania" (PDF). U.S. Census 1910. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 22 November 2013.
- "Number and Distribution of Inhabitants:Pennsylvania-Tennessee" (PDF). Fifteenth Census. U.S. Census Bureau.
- "Number of Inhabitants: Pennsylvania" (PDF). 18th Census of the United States. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 22 November 2013.
- "Pennsylvania: Population and Housing Unit Counts" (PDF). U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 22 November 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 22 November 2013.