Port of Cagliari
|Port of Cagliari|
|Owned by||Port Authority of Cagliari|
|Type of harbor||Natural/Artificial|
|Size||800 ha (8 sq km)|
|General manager||Antonio Granara|
|Vessel arrivals||5,573 vessels (2007)|
|Annual cargo tonnage||35,261,756 tonnes (2007)|
|Annual container volume||547,336 TEU's (2007)|
|Passenger traffic||393,823 people (2007)|
The Port of Cagliari is one of the largest Italian seaports and one of the largest seaports in the Mediterranean Sea basin, with an annual traffic capacity of around 50 million tonnes of cargo and 1,000,000 TEU's.
The port is also an important employer in the area, with more than 3,000 employees who provide services to more than 5,500 ships every year.
The Port of Cagliari is in the west of the Mediterranean Sea, a position which has made it a commercial and strategic junction for over 2,500 years. Founded by the Phoenicians, launched by the Carthaginians and flourished under the Romans, for centuries the port in Cagliari has been in a continuous expansion program.
Thanks to the large spaces available and its enormous operating potential, the Port of Cagliari can accommodate heavy commercial traffic by moving conventional goods, bulk goods, Ro-Ro traffic and transshipping containerized goods, all which are flanked by passenger services, fishing, yachting and cruise activities.
The historic port has 5,800 meters of quay, which serves commercial and Ro-Ro traffic as well as passenger ships. The canal port has 1,600 meters of quay and has five berths for transshipping and Ro-Ro traffic.
These two ports are flanked by berths for the petrochemical and oil industry, which accommodate mooring for 17 ships at a time.
|RoRo (nr of units)||107,797||105,522||98,045||81,676|
|Nr of passengers||498,050||453,042||351,195||393,823|
- * figures in tonnes
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Port of Cagliari.|
- Port of Cagliari vessel arrivals (in Italian) Archived 2009-02-28 at the Wayback Machine
- Port of Cagliari cargo volume (in Italian) Archived 2009-02-28 at the Wayback Machine
- Port of Cagliari container volume (in Italian) Archived 2009-02-28 at the Wayback Machine
- History of the port (in Italian) Archived 2006-05-08 at the Wayback Machine
- Annual report (in Italian) Archived 2009-02-28 at the Wayback Machine
- Official figures (in Italian) Archived 2009-02-28 at the Wayback Machine
- CICT kicked into life?