Port of Payra
This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2020)
|Port of Payra|
|Opened||13 August 2016|
|Owned by||Payra Port Authority|
|Draft depth||16 meters|
|Annual revenue||US$32 million (2019)|
The Port of Payra is a seaport at Kalapara in Patuakhali in southern Bangladesh. It was established by an Act of Parliament in 2013. The port was officially inaugurated in 2016. It is located on the Ramnabad Channel near the Bay of Bengal. The port is undergoing expansion and the project is expected to be completed in 2021.
The port was established after demands for a seaport in the coastal Barisal Division. Bangladeshi officials have stated that a deep water port has been planned in the area which will serve southern Bangladesh, as well as neighboring countries like Nepal and Bhutan. Under Long Term Plan, by 2023 the port would be fully operational with a 16 m channel where minimum 10 km container & other terminals with all other associated facilities like establishing EEZ, Airport, Port city, Dockyard/Shipyard, Echo Tourism etc centring to the port. The Port authority has taken a mega budget estimate under the Long-term plan by phases to complete the envisioned infrastructural facilities and make the port fully operational by 2015.
As of 2017, Payra was primarily a governmental route for import and export.
- "UNLOCODE (BG) - BANGLADESH". service.unece.org. Retrieved 22 April 2020.
- Al Amin, Mehedi (16 February 2019). "Slow but steady progress in Payra Port construction". Dhaka Tribune. Retrieved 26 December 2020.
- নতুন পায়রা সমুদ্রবন্দর বাংলাদেশের জন্য কতটা গুরুত্বপূর্ণ [The importance of the new Payra seaport]. BBC Bangla (in Bengali). 30 October 2015. Retrieved 2016-11-17.
- উদ্বোধন হলেও সচল হয়নি পায়রা বন্দর. Prothom Alo (in Bengali). 30 November 2013. Retrieved 2016-11-17.
- "CPA to begin land acquisition for 3rd seaport in Patuakhali soon". Financial Express. Dhaka. 20 August 2013.
- "Third seaport at Payra". The Daily Star. 30 October 2015.
- "Belgian firm gets dredging job". The Daily Star. 26 May 2016.
- "Navy to dredge channel to Payra seaport". The Independent. Dhaka. 1 June 2016.
- "Trial run of Payra port starts today". The Daily Star. 1 August 2016.
- "Payra seaport set to open tomorrow". The Daily Star. 12 August 2016.
- "Payra seaport opens today". The Daily Star. 13 August 2016.
- "Payra port starts operations today". The Independent. Dhaka. 13 August 2016.
- "Payra port to be inaugurated on Saturday". bdnews24.com. 13 August 2016.
- "High hope on Payra". The Daily Star. 14 August 2016.
- "Goods unloading begins at Payra port". The Independent. Dhaka. 5 September 2016.
- "Farmlands near Payra in peril". The Daily Star. 3 October 2016.
- "PM discloses mega plan for Payra Port". Dhaka Tribune. 5 October 2016.
- "Navy to build Payra Port road". The Daily Star. 20 October 2016.
- "China companies sign $510m deals for Payra seaport". The Daily Star. 9 December 2016.
- "British co to build Dhaka-Payra rail link". The Daily Star. 21 December 2016.
- "WMShL builds first seagoing tugboat for Payra Port". Daily Sun. Dhaka. 22 April 2017.
- "Go slowly, get costly". The Daily Star. 2 June 2017.
- "Proposal to hike Payra project cost by 250pc". The Financial Express. 20 June 2017.
- Port of Payra Authority Act, 2013