|Triumphal Gate - Macedonia|
Триумфална Порта - Македонија
|Alternative names||Triumphal Arch|
(Триумфална капија, Триумфална порта)
|Address||Pela Square (Плоштад Пела)|
|Town or city||Skopje|
|Country||Republic of Macedonia|
|Opened||6 January 2012|
|Cost||EUR 4.4 million|
|Client||Government of Republic of Macedonia|
|Design and construction|
The arch is 21 meters in height, and cost EUR 4.4 million. Its author is Valentina Stefanovska, sculptor who made several other grandiose monuments from Skopje 2014 project, including the statue dedicated to Alexander the Great officially named "Warrior on a Horse." During the opening ceremony, the Prime Minister Nikola Gruevski admitted that he personally is the instigator of the Skopje 2014 plan.
The arch is dedicated to 20 years of Macedonian independence and its outer surface is covered in 193 m2 of reliefs carved in marble, depicting scenes from the history of Macedonia. It also contains interior rooms, one of which has a function of state-owned souvenir shop, as well as elevators and stairs providing public access to the roof, allegedly intended as space for weddings.
The arch is facing criticism for its high cost. It is designed to match the almost equally tall statue of "Alexander the Great", erected in the capital's central square in summer 2011. Both constructions are part of the government-funded project named "Skopje 2014" with an estimated unofficial price tag €500 million. This considered, many Macedonians believe Porta Macedonia will encourage tourism. The Greek Foreign Ministry has lodged an official complaint to authorities in the Republic of Macedonia following the inauguration of the arch which features images of historical figures including Alexander the Great.
- Отворена „Порта Македонија“ (Opened „Porta Macedonia“) Archived 22 July 2012 at Archive.today, Kanal 5
- Skopje unveils grandiose arch monument Archived 11 January 2012 at the Wayback Machine., Tanjug
- Македонија за македонскиот триумф, Kurir
- Macedonia, Kazakhstan: Triumphal Arches to Celebrate 20 Years of Independence, Global Voices Online
- Skopje 2014: The new face of Macedonia, BalkanInsight
- Macedonian Arch May Be Wedding Scene, BalkanInsight
- Macedonia's Alexander the Great Statue Arrives in Skopje, BalkanInsight
- Athens complains about Skopje arch, Kathimerini, Thursday 19 Jan 2012
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Triumph gate (Skopje).|
|This article about a Republic of Macedonia building or structure related topic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|