Portage High School
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2011)|
|Portage High School|
|6450 U.S. Highway 6
Portage, Indiana, 46368
|School district||Portage Township Schools|
|Number of students||2,594 (2013 enrollment)|
|Student to teacher ratio||21|
Red, Black, and White
|Song||Go U Northwestern|
|Athletics conference||Duneland Athletic Conference|
|TV Station||Indians News Network (INN)|
Portage High School is a public high school in Indiana that serves grades 9 through 12. The school has been in the area since the 1960s but can be dated back to the 1940s. The school serves the Portage, Indiana area as well as the South Haven area of Valparaiso, Indiana and Ogden Dunes, Indiana. The principal is Jennifer Sass.
Portage High School offers a wide range of athletics including:
- Football (State Champions, 1977 (3A))
- Track and field
- Cross country (State Champions: 1974, 1984, 1992, 1999)
- Gymnastics (State Champions 1975, 2013)
- Softball (State Champions, 2000 (3A), 2013 (4A))
All sports compete in the Duneland Athletic Conference (DAC).
Portage High School also hosts the 14th oldest MCJROTC unit in the United States.
Portage High School also offers a wide range of academic classes including AP classes and dual credit classes.
The Publications Department produces the school newspaper (the Pow Wow), the student yearbook the (Legend), and a website.
- Darren Elkins, Indiana State Champion wrestler; professional mixed martial artist for the UFC's Featherweight Division
- "Portage High School". GreatSchools.org. Retrieved 24 February 2010.
- Portage High School Administrative Office Staff
- IHSAA State Championships by School
- Pride of Portage Marching Band
- PHSNewsOnline.com | Portage High School's most reliable source for news, sports, and more
- "Darren Elkins UFC Bio". Retrieved 2014.