Portage High School
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Portage High School|
|6450 US Highway 6
Portage, Indiana, Porter County 46368
|Type||Comprehensive public high school|
|School district||Portage Township Schools|
|Student to teacher ratio||20.92|
|Song||Go U Northwestern|
|Athletics conference||Duneland Athletic Conference|
|Feeder schools||Fegely Middle School
Willowcreek Middle School
|TV Station||Indians News Network (INN)|
The school has been in the area since the 1960s but can be dated back to the 1940s. The school serves the Portage, Indiana area as well as the South Haven area of Valparaiso, Indiana and Ogden Dunes, Indiana. The principal is Max Gill. The school offers a wide range of classes including Advanced Placement classes and dual credit enrollment classes.
Portage High School offers a wide range of athletics including:
- Football (State Champions, 1977 (3A))
- Track and field
- Cross country (State Champions: 1974, 1984, 1992, 1999)
- Gymnastics (State Champions 1975, 2013)
- Softball (State Champions, 2000 (3A), 2013 (4A))
All sports compete in the Duneland Athletic Conference (DAC).
Portage High School also hosts the 14th oldest MCJROTC unit in the United States.
The Publications Department produces the school newspaper (the Pow Wow), the student yearbook the (Legend), and a website.
- Lexi Elisha - Christian musician
- Darren Elkins - Indiana State Champion wrestler; professional mixed martial artist for the UFC's Featherweight Division