Portage Township, Porter County, Indiana
West Beach at Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore
|• Type||Indiana township|
|• Total||38.25 sq mi (99.07 km2)|
|• Land||35.57 sq mi (92.12 km2)|
|• Water||2.68 sq mi (6.95 km2)|
|Elevation||636 ft (194 m)|
|• Density||1,323.8/sq mi (511.13/km2)|
|GNIS feature ID||453758|
Cities and towns
The city of Portage has an extensive park system. Also within the township is the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore's primary beach of West Beach and a new facility called Portage Lakefront and Riverwalk.
Portage Township is home to Portage Township Schools.
- Purdue University North Central (classes offered at Portage High School)
- Indiana University Northwest
- Ivy Tech (classes offered at Willowcreek Middle School; full-service campus to be built in 2008)
The Corporation is reviewing the results of a population growth study to determine future facility needs. Current options include: 1) Constructing a ninth elementary school; 2) Constructing a third middle school; or 3) Constructing an intermediate (5th-6th grade) school. For the 2007-2008 school year the Portage Township Schools student enrollment was 8,541.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Portage township, Porter County, Indiana". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved March 22, 2013.
- Smith, S. & Mark, S. (2009). "The Historical Roots of the Nature Conservancy in the Northwest Indiana/Chicagoland Region: From Science to Preservation." The South Shore Journal, 3. http://www.southshorejournal.org/index.php/issues/volume-3-2009/83-journals/vol-3-2009/75-the-historical-roots-of-the-nature-conservancy-in-the-northwest-indianachicagoland-region-from-science-to-preservation
- Smith, S. & Mark, S. (2006). "Alice Gray, Dorothy Buell, and Naomi Svihla: Preservationists of Ogden Dunes." The South Shore Journal, 1.http://www.southshorejournal.org/index.php/issues/volume-1-2006/78-journals/vol-1-2006/117-alice-gray-dorothy-buell-and-naomi-svihla-preservationists-of-ogden-dunes
- Smith, S. & Mark, S. (2007). "The cultural impact of a museum in a small community: The Hour Glass of Ogden Dunes." The South Shore Journal, 2. http://www.southshorejournal.org/index.php/issues/volume-2-2007/82-journals/vol-2-2007/104-the-cultural-impact-of-a-museum-in-a-small-community-the-hour-glass-in-ogden-dunes
- History of Porter County, Indiana : a narrative account of its historical progress, its people and its principal interests. Lewis Publishing Company. 1912. p. 166.
- National Park Service (2010-07-09). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- Porter County, Indiana Sesquicentennial, 150, 1836-1986.