Aquarium fish are any species of fish that can be kept in a tank, aquarium, or other simulated habitat. The practise of keeping fish as pets has been going on for many years. The Chinese brought goldfish and Paradise fish indoors during the Song Dynasty to enjoy them in large ceramic vessels. Aquarium keeping is enjoyed by experts and novices alike.
The Asian arowana comprises several varieties of freshwater fish
in the genus Scleropages
. Some sources differentiate these varieties into multiple species
while others consider the different strains to belong to a single species, Scleropages formosus
They have several other common names, including Asian bonytongue
, dragon fish
, and a number of names specific to different varieties.
Native to Southeast Asia, Asian arowanas inhabit blackwater rivers, slow-moving waters flowing through forested swamps and wetlands. Adults feed on other fish, while juveniles feed on insects.
These popular aquarium fish have special cultural significance in areas influenced by Chinese culture. The name dragon fish stems from their resemblance to the Chinese dragon. This popularity has had both positive and negative effects on their status as endangered species.
are a genus
) of fish belonging to the family Syngnathidae
, which also includes pipefish
and leafy sea dragons
. There are over 32 species of seahorse, mainly found in shallow tropical and temperate waters throughout the world. They prefer to live in sheltered areas such as sea grass beds, coral reefs, or mangroves. Colonies have been found in European waters such as the Thames Estuary
. From North America
down to South America
there are approximately four species, ranging from very small in size (dwarf seahorses
are only about an inch long) to those much larger, found off the Pacific Coast of Central America (the foot-long Hippocampus ingens
). Hippocampus erectus
are larger seahorses found anywhere from Nova Scotia
down to around Uruguay
. Three different species of seehorse live in the Mediterranean Sea
: Hippocampus hippocampus (long snout), Hippocampus brevirostris (short snout) and Hippocampus fuscus (immigrated from the Red Sea
). These fish form territories, with males staying in about one square meter of their habitat while females range about one hundred times that area. They bob around in sea grass meadows, mangrove stands, and coral reefs where they are camouflaged by murky brown and grey patterns that blend into the sea grass backgrounds. During social moments or in unusual surroundings, seahorses turn bright colors.
The Siamese fighting fish (Betta splendens), or fighting betta is a freshwater fish related to the paradise fish. The fighting fish is a species in the Gourami family which is popular as an aquarium fish. They are called pla-kad (biting fish) in Thai or trey krem in Khmer. They are a very territorial fish and it is unwise to house two males together. Even the females may become territorial towards each other if not housed in a large enough tank.
Here are some tasks you can do, as organized by the WikiProject Aquarium Fishes, if you are interested, please sign up on the project page. You are welcome to also add new tasks or remove the old ones.
- Copyedit: Fire eel, Tetra, Lionchu, Blackline penguinfish, Flowerhorn, Pterophyllum, Chinese hillstream loach (Beaufortia kweichowensis), Violet line piranha
- Expand: Yellow-tailed Damselfish, Gold Spot Pleco, List of aquarium diseases, Headstander, Brachygobius, Red-tailed black shark, Osphronemus, Freshwater aquarium, Thick-Lipped Gourami, Pseudochromis diadema, Striped Raphael catfish, Platydoras, Twospot turkeyfish, Agamyxis, Red eye tetra, Saddleback clownfish,Hemigrammus pulcher, Emperor tetra (Nematobrycon palmeri), Flying Fox (fish) (Epalzeorhynchos kalopterus), Rainbow shark (Epalzeorhynchos frenatum), Myxocyprinus asiaticusMacrognathus siamensis, Badis badis
- Add taxobox:
- Develop featured article: Aquarium, Cichlid
- Peer review: Arius berneyi Berney's shark catfish
- Article request: We're trying to clean up the species list bit by bit. We're currently on Catfish. Australian shark catfish Arius graeffei, Two spot glass catfish Ompok bimaculatus, Spotted pimelodus
- Picture request: Aquascaping, Clown knifefish, Peters' elephantnose fish, Buenos Aires tetra, Croaking gourami, Pygmy gourami, Fire eel, Zebra pleco, Hypancistrus, Sorubim, Brachyplatystoma, Xenomystus nigri, Peckoltia, Hemiancistrus,Snakeskin gourami, Farlowella acus (current images are copyrighted), Farlowella (current image is copyrighted), Brachygobius xanthozona, Brachygobius, Columbian Tetra, Tire track eel, Agamyxis, Pseudomystus, Bagrichthys, Leiarius, Dekeyseria, Leporacanthicus, Pseudacanthicus, Acanthicus, Hoplosternum littorale, Callichthys callichthys, Scleromystax (Upload any non-copyrighted fish images to the appropriate section of Wikimedia Commons)
- Identify species in the picture: (Identify and move the images to the appropriate section of Wikimedia Commons)
- Collaboration: Fishkeeping
- Other: See the Wikipedia talk:WikiProject Aquarium Fishes/to do page
If you have any question, comment or suggestion, please discuss here.