2012 in astronomy
Special Event of the year
- June 6 – The second and last solar transit of Venus of the century. The next pair is predicted to occur in 2117 and 2125.
Transits of Venus across the disk of the Sun are among the rarest of planetary alignments. Indeed, only seven such events have occurred since the invention of the telescope (1631, 1639, 1761, 1769, 1874, 1882 and 2004). The next transit of Venus will occur on 2012 June 06.
Two solar and two lunar eclipses take place in 2012 as follows.
- Annular Solar eclipse of May 20, 2012
- Partial Lunar eclipse of June 04, 2012
- Total Solar eclipse of November 13, 2012
- Penumbral lunar eclipse of November 28, 2012