- 1912 – The SS Koombana (pictured) sinks near Port Hedland, Western Australia, during a tropical cyclone, with the loss of at least 138 passengers and crew
- 1916 – Troops from the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) land in France.
- 1942 – American general Douglas MacArthur makes his "I shall return" speech at Terowie, South Australia, after the unsuccessful defence of the Philippines.
- 1990 – British-born serial killer John Wayne Glover is arrested for the murders of six elderly women on Sydney's North Shore.
- 2003 – Two-thousand Australian troops participate in the 2003 invasion of Iraq.
- 2012 – Irish-born charity worker and former Australian rules footballer Jim Stynes dies of cancer in St Kilda, Victoria.