A strip of cooked side (streaky) bacon
Bacon is a type of salt-cured pork. Bacon is prepared from several different cuts of meat, typically from the pork belly or from back cuts, which have less fat than the belly. It is eaten on its own, as a side dish (particularly in breakfasts), or used as a minor ingredient to flavour dishes (e.g., the club sandwich). Bacon is also used for barding and larding roasts, especially game, including venison and pheasant. The word is derived from the Old High German bacho, meaning "buttock", "ham" or "side of bacon", and is cognate with the Old French bacon.
Cured side bacon in a pan The same bacon after being pan-fried
Meat from other animals, such as beef, lamb, chicken, goat, or turkey, may also be cut, cured, or otherwise prepared to resemble bacon, and may even be referred to as "bacon". Such use is common in areas with significant Jewish and Muslim populations, both of which prohibit the consumption of pork.
Panfried, wrapped with Zeeuws spek. Infused with Sichuan Chili Oil.
Did you know...
Bacon vodka is vodka infused with bacon flavor, part of a larger trend of "carnivorous cocktails" and the addition of umami (savory) flavor to mixed drinks. The infused alcohol can be sipped but it typically used in mixed drinks like a bloody mary or bacon martini. Bakon Vodka has received critical acclaim by professional mixologists, winning the 2010 Silver Medal winner in the Wine and Spirits category in the Beverage World BevStar Awards, and a silver medal in the SIP Awards International Spirits Competition. Bakon was also featured in a number of TV programs including The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien, The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, and The Today Show.
Did you know? articles
Things you can do
Here are some tasks awaiting attention:
- Article requests : Bacon manicures, Bacon Field Chow, International Pig Day, Bacon Apps, Foods of Elvis, W M Wight, Bacon bath salts, Bacon chips, Turbaconducken, Das Foods, Bacon is the New Black, Slater's 50/50, Bacon Makers, Father’s Country Hams, Flying Pigs Farm, La Quercia, Newsom’s Aged Kentucky Country Hams, The Pork Shop, Scott Country Hams, Swiss Meat & Sausage Co., The Pig Next Door, Pierpont Bacon
- Assess : Rate the Unassessed Bacon articles in the Bacon WikiProject when they appear.
- Cleanup : A list of articles needing immediate attention is available.
- Photo : Bacon cake
- Stubs : Help expand Stub-Class Bacon articles
- Verify : Food related articles with notability concerns, listed at WikiProject Notability.
- Other : * Join WikiProject Bacon and list yourself as a Participant.