THE BIHAR PORTAL
History | Geography | Tourism | Culture | Economy | Government | Politics | People | Cuisine | Music
I n t r o d u c t i o n
Bihar (Hindi: बिहार, Urdu: بہار, pronounced [bɪˈhaːr] ( listen)) is a state in eastern India. Bihar is the 12th largest state in terms of geographical size at 38,202 sq mi (99,200 km²) and 3rd largest by population. It is an entirely land locked state, although the outlet to the sea through the port of Kolkata is not far away. Bihar lies mid-way between the humid West Bengal in the east and the sub humid Uttar Pradesh in the west which provides it with a transitional position in respect of climate, economy and culture. It is bounded by Nepal in the north and by Jharkhand in the south. The Bihar plain is divided into two unequal halves by the river Ganga which flows through the middle from west to east
Thai Monastery in bodhgaya
The Mundeshwari Devi Temple (also spelled as Mundesvari) is located at Kaura in Kaimur district in the state of Bihar, India on the Mundeshwari Hills. It is an ancient temple dedicated to the worship of Lord Shiva and Shakti and is considered one of the oldest Hindu temples in Bihar. It is also considered as the 'oldest functional' temple of India.
The inscription of an information plaque erected by the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) at the site indicates the dating of the temple to 635 AD. However, there are other versions for the dating stating the Saka era, prior to Gupta dynasty rule (320 AD) in India, and specifically to 105 AD according to the Administrator of the Bihar Religious Trust Board. The temple, a protected monument under ASI since 1915, is substantially damaged and is under restoration.
Prakash Jha (Hindi: प्रकाश झा) (born 27 February 1952) is an Indian film producer-director-screenwriter, who is most known for his political and socio-political films such as Damul (1984), Mrityudand (1997), Gangaajal (2003), Apaharan (2005) and multistarrer hit movie Rajneeti (2010). He is also the maker of National Film Award winning documentaries like, Face After Storm (1984) and Sonal (2002).
Read the complete article.
- We should not fret for what is past, nor should we be anxious about the future; men of discernment deal only with the present moment.
- If a king is energetic, his subjects will be equally energetic. If he is reckless, they will not only be reckless likewise, but also eat into his works. Besides, a reckless king will easily fall into the hands of his enemies. Hence the king shall ever be wakeful.
Today is October 13, 2017
- Feb 7: Bihar Diwas to be attended by a galaxy of luminaries including legendary Amitabh Bachchan TOI
- Aug 7: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has promised to constitute an inter-ministerial group to study Bihar's demand for special category status.TOI
- Aug 7: 50 students of the state, who topped in International Assessments for Indian Schools (IAIS)-2011, were felicitated here on Saturday at a programme organised by Macmillan Publishers India Limited at the Indira Gandhi Science Planetarium. TOI
- Aug 6: Indian Institute of Technology will host its third foundation day programme, IIT campus, Patliputra Colony, 9.30am.Telegraph
- Aug 6: Bihar government has taken major initiatives to promote organic farming in state.TOI
- Aug 5: Md Islam on Friday won the professional golf tournament, Professional Golf Tour of India (PGTI) 'Feeder Tour', organized by Patna Golf Club (PGC) here over the last three days.TOI
- Aug 5: Bihar State Electricity Board (BSEB) has invited bids for procurement of 300MW of power from September 1 to November 30 this year to ensure power availability during festivals.TOI
Did you know...
- ...Patna,Capital of Bihar, has been ranked as 21st fastest growing city in the world and 5th fastest growing city in India,by City Mayors Foundation.Citymayors
- ...Bihar became first state in India to utilize Information technology for speedy disposal of complaint cases under the Right to Information (RTI) Act, by introducing videoconferencing system.TOI
- ...that Patna,capital of Bihar is second in terms of ease of starting a business,according to a World Bank ranking announced in 2009.
- ...that Bihar has been termed as India's new miracle economy,by The economic times,in the year 2010.This happened because,in the five-year period between 2004-05 to 2008-09, GDP of Bihar registered a growth of 11.03%.
- ...that A call center related to RTI,was first started in Bihar.It enables people living in remotest part of state,to submit application for information under RTI by using public or private telephone.
Tasks you can do
Wikipedia in Maithili
Wikipedia in Bhojpuri