The Britney Spears Portal
Britney Jean Spears (born December 2, 1981) is an American singer, dancer, and actress. Born in McComb, Mississippi, and raised in Kentwood, Louisiana, she appeared in stage productions and television series, before signing with Jive Records in 1997. Spears's first two studio albums, ...Baby One More Time (1999) and Oops!... I Did It Again (2000), were global successes and made her the best-selling teenage artist of all-time. Referred to as the "Princess of Pop", Spears was credited with influencing the revival of teen pop during the late 1990s and early 2000s.
Spears adopted more mature and provocative themes for her next two studio albums, Britney (2001) and In the Zone (2003), and made her feature film debut in a starring role in Crossroads (2002). Following a series of heavily publicized personal struggles and erratic public behavior, Spears' career was interrupted before the release of her fifth studio album Blackout (2007), which is often critically referred to as her best work. Her erratic behavior and hospitalizations led Spears to be placed on a still ongoing conservatorship. She returned to the top of record charts with her sixth and seventh studio albums, Circus (2008) and Femme Fatale (2011). In 2012, Forbes reported that Spears was the highest paid female musician of the year, with earnings of $58 million, having last topped the list in 2002. During the promotion of her eighth and ninth studio albums, Britney Jean (2013) and Glory (2016), Spears embarked on a four-year concert residency, Britney: Piece of Me, at Planet Hollywood Resort & Casino in Las Vegas.
Five of Spears' singles have reached number one in the United States: "...Baby One More Time", "Womanizer", "3", "Hold It Against Me" and "S&M". Other singles, "Oops!... I Did It Again" and "Toxic", topped Australian and Canadian charts. Spears has earned numerous awards and accolades, including a Grammy Award, six MTV Video Music Awards, including the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award, seven Billboard Music Awards, including the Millennium Award and a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Billboard ranked her as the eighth biggest artist of the 2000s decade. One of the world's best-selling music artists, Spears has sold over 100 million records worldwide. In the United States, Spears remains the fourth best-selling female album artist of the Nielsen SoundScan era, as well as the best-selling female albums artist of the 2000s. In 2004, she launched a perfume brand with Elizabeth Arden, Inc., from which sales exceeded US$1.5 billion, as of 2012.
Britney Spears is an American pop music singer. Her first concert tour was in North America, where she performed in more than 50 cities during the third quarter of 1999. It was extended through the United States in April and March of 2000. The same year, she embarked on her first worldwide trek, Oops!... I Did It Again World Tour, visiting Europe and playing one concert in Brazil. The following year, she proceeded with the Dream Within a Dream Tour, performing during 2001 and 2002 in North America and Japan.
In 2004, she began The Onyx Hotel Tour, which visited North America and Europe but it was cut short when she hurt her knee during a music video shoot. She did not go on the road again until 2009 with The Circus Starring Britney Spears, in support of her similarly titled album. The tour grossed $94 million, becoming Spears's highest grossing tour and one of the highest grossing tours of 2009.
...Baby One More Time is the debut album by American pop singer Britney Spears, released on January 12, 1999 on Jive Records. The album was a worldwide commercial success, reaching the top five in nineteen countries, and number one in fifteen, including the U.S Billboard 200. The album helped propel Spears' into mainstream popularity.
With the release of the lead single "...Baby One More Time", Spears became a pop phenomenon; the single peaked at number one on the Billboard Hot 100, a feat Spears would not repeat for nearly ten years, until October 2008 when her single "Womanizer" peaked at number one on the chart. Every single released in the United Kingdom went on to chart in the top-five spots on the UK Singles Chart and the top-three spots on the Eurochart Hot 100.
The album, its lyrics, and its music videos maintained the typical virgin image of the late 1990s teen pop revival for Spears. The album is the biggest selling album worldwide by a teenage artist and the highest selling album by a female pop artist and debut album in the United States. ...Baby One More Time sold more than 25 million copies worldwide, becoming one of the most successful albums of all time and is Spears' most successful album to date.
Did you know...
- ... that when she was 11 years old, Britney Spears took part in the program The All New Mickey Mouse Club alongside Christina Aguilera, Ryan Gosling and Justin Timberlake?
- ... When her first single ,"...Baby One More Time" was released it was #1 in Nearly every country in the world?
- ... that Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake dated for two years?
- ... that in 2000, a museum of Britney Spears was created in her home town in Louisiana (USA)?
- ... that Britney still holds the title for her album Oops!... I Did It Again for selling the most albums in one week by a female artist.
- ... that Britney Spears starred in her first movie, Crossroads, in 2001. The film tells the story of three adventurous friends who cross the country in search of fame in Hollywood?
- ... that in early 2004, Britney Spears secretly married a childhood friend in a small chapel in Las Vegas and that the marriage was annulled 55 hours later?
- ... that in 2004 Britney Spears married dancer Kevin Federline in a surprise ceremony and that in 2006 the couple divorced?
- ... the idols of Britney Spears are Madonna and Janet Jackson?
- ... that Spears' has been Yahoo!'s and Google's most popular search term for the last four consecutive years (2005-2009), seven times in total.
- ... that according to Nielsen SoundScan (which does not include club sales) Spears is the biggest-selling female, and 4th overall, musician of this decade in the USA selling over 100 million albums, in the past 10 years?
- ...Britney is the only artist to have 5 albums debut on the Billboard charts with 500,000 copies or more.
- ...Britney is the only artist in her decade to have sold more than 100 million albums.
- ...Britney is the only female artist to have 6 albums debut at number 1 on the Billboard charts and the only one to have all of her albums debut in the two top slots of the chart.
- ... that Britney attracted the largest audience for TV shows Glee, How I Met Your Mother & The X-Factor.
"…Baby One More Time" is the debut song by American pop singer Britney Spears from her debut album ...Baby One More Time on Jive Records. It was released on October 13, 1998 in the United States and in the first quarter of 1999 internationally as the album's lead single. The song was written by Max Martin and was originally intended for TLC but after they rejected it, Spears and Martin decided to record the track. The song’s lyrics refer to breaking up with someone and regretting the decision. When ..Baby One More Time was released it landed the No. 1 spot in nearly every country in the world.
The song was well received by music critics, most calling it the highlight of the album and was nominated for a Grammy Award for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance. The track also achieved commercial success and remains Spears' most successful single, topping the charts in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the United States and every European country in which it charted. In the United Kingdom, it became the highest selling single of the year and one of the highest selling singles of all time worldwide.
Things you can do