The Buses Portal
A bus (archaically also omnibus, multibus, or autobus) is a road vehicle designed to carry passengers. Buses can have a capacity as high as 300 passengers. The most common type of bus is the single-decker rigid bus, with larger loads carried by double-decker buses and articulated buses, and smaller loads carried by midibuses and minibuses; coaches are used for longer distance services.
Bus manufacturing is increasingly globalised, with the same design appearing around the world.
Buses may be used for scheduled bus transport, scheduled coach transport, school transport, private hire, tourism; promotional buses may be used for political campaigns and others are privately operated for a wide range of purposes.
Horse drawn buses were used from 1820, followed by steam buses in the 1830 and electric trolleybuses in 1882. The first buses powered by internal combustion engines were used 1895 and this is still the most common power source. Recently there has been growing interest in hybrid electric buses, fuel cell buses, electric buses as well as ones powered by compressed natural gas or bio-diesel.
- ... that the November 2010 sale by Silver Star Holidays of its local bus routes around Caernarfon ended nearly ninety years of bus service operation by the company?
Here are some tasks awaiting attention:
- Article requests : Bee Line, Incorporated (Nassau County, New York), Bucks County Transportation Management Association, Fahslabend trolleybus switch, Fredericksburg Regional Transit, Hino Grand View, Krapf Transit, Long Island Rail Road: Road n' Rail Buses
- Assess :
- Expand : Mitsubishi Fuso Aero King, Portal:Bus, Isle of Wight Bus & Coach Museum
- Photo : these articles
- Stubs : Nissan Diesel Space Dream, Citrus Connection, Escambia County Area Transit, Space Coast Area Transit, Winter Haven Area Transit, Busscar, Chicken bus, Neoplan Megaliner
- Verify : Bus garage, Bus lane, Bus priority, Bus rapid transit, Bus terminus, Hail and ride, Implementation of bus rapid transit,
- Other : Represent a worldwide view of Coach (vehicle), Recognize Redirect-class WPBus articles
All A-class articles are also recognized as Good articles.
The following Wikimedia
sister projects provide more on this subject: