The Buses Portal
A bus (archaically also omnibus, multibus, motorbus, autobus) is a road vehicle designed to carry many passengers. Buses can have a capacity as high as 300 passengers. The most common type of bus is the single-deck rigid bus, with larger loads carried by double-decker and articulated buses, and smaller loads carried by midibuses and minibuses; coaches are used for longer-distance services. Many types of buses, such as city transit buses and inter-city coaches, charge a fare. Other types, such as elementary or secondary school buses or shuttle buses within a post-secondary education campus do not charge a fare. In many jurisdictions, bus drivers require a special licence above and beyond a regular driver's licence.
Buses may be used for scheduled bus transport, scheduled coach transport, school transport, private hire, or tourism; promotional buses may be used for political campaigns and others are privately operated for a wide range of purposes, including rock and pop band tour vehicles.
Horse-drawn buses were used from the 1820s, followed by steam buses in the 1830s, and electric trolleybuses in 1882. The first internal combustion engine buses, or motor buses, were used in 1895. Recently, interest has been growing in hybrid electric buses, fuel cell buses, and electric buses, as well as ones powered by compressed natural gas or biodiesel. As of the 2010s, bus manufacturing is increasingly globalised, with the same designs appearing around the world.
A 1992 Flxible Metro 40102-6C in service in Portland, Oregon in 2009.
The Flxible Metro is a transit bus that was manufactured by the Flxible Corporation from 1978 until 1995. From 1978 until 1983, when Flxible was owned by Grumman, the model was known as the Grumman 870, with a Grumman nameplate.
Here at the Piccadilly Gardens terminus, brand new Enviro 400H electric hybrid double decker bus 12038 (MV60 BVE) is on its first day in service with Stagecoach Manchester.
Did you know?
- ... that Sir Richard Paget encouraged his daughter to fall from the open platform (pictured) of a London bus, to demonstrate his theory that a person could do so safely due to air currents?
- ... that Umeå Energi set up lamps in bus shelters to avoid people getting SAD?
Here are some tasks awaiting attention:
- Article requests : Bee Line, Incorporated (Nassau County, New York), Brooklyn Bus Corporation, Bucks County Transportation Management Association, Fahslabend trolleybus switch, Hino Grand View, Kings Coach Company (Brooklyn, NYC), Isle Coaches, Missouri Pacific Stages, Safeway Lines, Incorporated, Santa Fe Trails Transportation Company, SEPTA Bus Operations bus fleet
- Assess : these articles
- Expand : Mitsubishi Fuso Aero King, Portal:Bus, Isle of Wight Bus & Coach Museum
- Photo : these articles
- Stubs : Nissan Diesel Space Dream, Citrus Connection, Escambia County Area Transit, Space Coast Area Transit, Winter Haven Area Transit, Chicken bus, Neoplan Megaliner, Fredericksburg Regional Transit, AEC Reliance
- Verify : Bus garage, Bus lane, Bus priority, Bus rapid transit, Bus terminus, Hail and ride, Implementation of bus rapid transit, these articles
- Other : Represent a worldwide view of Coach (vehicle), Recognize Redirect-class WPBus articles
All A-class articles are also recognized as Good articles.