California is a U.S. state in the Pacific Region of the United States. With 39.5 million residents, California is the most populous state in the United States and the third largest by area. The state capital is Sacramento. The Greater Los Angeles Area and the San Francisco Bay Area are the nation's second- and fifth-most populous urban regions, with 18.7 million and 8.8 million residents respectively. Los Angeles is California's most populous city, and the country's second-most populous, after New York City. California also has the nation's most populous county, Los Angeles County; its largest county by area, San Bernardino County; and its fifth most densely populated county, San Francisco.
California's $2.8 trillion economy is larger than that of any other state. If it were a country, California would be the 5th largest economy in the world (larger than the U.K. or France), and the 36th most populous . The Greater Los Angeles Area and the San Francisco Bay Area are the nation's second- and third-largest urban economies ($1.253 trillion and $878 billion respectively ), after the New York City metropolitan area. The San Francisco Bay Area PSA had the nation's highest GDP per capita in 2017 (~$99,000), and is home to four of the world's ten largest companies by market capitalization and four of the world's ten richest people.
California is considered a global trendsetter in popular culture, innovation, and politics. It is considered the origin of the American film industry, the hippie counterculture, the Internet, and the personal computer, among others. The San Francisco Bay Area and the Greater Los Angeles Area are widely seen as the centers of the global technology and entertainment industries, respectively. California has a very diverse economy: 58% of the state's economy is centered on finance, government, real estate services, technology, and professional, scientific and technical business services. Although it accounts for only 1.5% of the state's economy, California's agriculture industry has the highest output of any U.S. state.
California is bordered by Oregon to the north, Nevada and Arizona to the east, and the Mexican state of Baja California to the south. The state's diverse geography ranges from the Pacific Coast in the west to the Sierra Nevada mountain range in the east, and from the redwood–Douglas fir forests in the northwest to the Mojave Desert in the southeast. The Central Valley, a major agricultural area, dominates the state's center. Although California is well-known for its warm Mediterranean climate, the large size of the state results in climates that vary from moist temperate rainforest in the north to arid desert in the interior, as well as snowy alpine in the mountains.
|The Dakin Building is an architectural award winning class A office building on the San Francisco Bay in Brisbane, California. Serving as a corporate headquarters building for several companies of national prominence, it was built from the profits of the Garfield character whose licensed products of the R. Dakin Company soared in sales in the late 1980s. Located on Sierra Point, it became a landmark in the San Francisco Bay Area for its distinctive design and was nicknamed the Luke Skywalker building for its dramatic posture overlooking the bay, in contrast to its ominous looking neighbor office building that was nicknamed the Darth Vader building.
The Dakin building has won a number of architectural awards including an American Institute of Architects Design Excellence Award in the year 1992. According to the San Francisco Examiner the jury awarded this distinction to the Dakin building because "Its chief strength is the atrium, with its views of the San Francisco Bay and asymmetrical skylight". The same newspaper article noted that the building "houses executive offices, research and development facilities and product showrooms."
Treemap of the popular vote by county, 2016 presidential election.
The original of Todd's Bear Flag, photographed in 1890
Had California been an independent country in 2008 its gross domestic product would have been ranked between eighth and eleventh in the world.
California GDP by sector in 2015.
A tree map depicting the distribution of occupations across the state of California
The population density of California
A map of California tribal groups and languages at the time of European contact.
Torrance High School is one of the oldest high schools in continuous use in California and a popular location for television and motion picture production.
Did you know?
- Senators: Dianne Feinstein (D), Kamala Harris (D)
- Representatives: Doug LaMalfa (R), Jared Huffman (D), John Garamendi (D), Tom McClintock (R), Mike Thompson (D), Doris Matsui (D), Ami Bera (D), Paul Cook (R), Jerry McNerney (D), Jeff Denham (R), Mark DeSaulnier (D), Nancy Pelosi (D), Barbara Lee (D), Jackie Speier (D), Eric Swalwell (D), Jim Costa (D), Ro Khanna (D), Anna Eshoo (D), Zoe Lofgren (D), Jimmy Panetta (D), David Valadao (R), Devin Nunes (R), Kevin McCarthy (R), Salud Carbajal (D), Steve Knight (R), Julia Brownley (D), Judy Chu (D), Adam Schiff (D), Tony Cardenas (D), Brad Sherman (D), Pete Aguilar (D), Grace Napolitano (D), Ted Lieu (D), Jimmy Gomez (D), Norma Torres (D), Raul Ruiz (D), Karen Bass (D), Linda Sanchez (D), Ed Royce (R), Lucille Roybal-Allard (D), Mark Takano (D), Ken Calvert (R), Maxine Waters (D), Nanette Barragán (D), Mimi Walters (R), Lou Correa (D), Alan Lowenthal (D), Dana Rohrabacher (R), Darrell Issa (R), Duncan Hunter (R). Juan Vargas (D), Scott Peters (D), Susan Davis (D)
- Total area: 163,696 mi2
- Land: 156,002 mi2
- Water: 7,694 mi2
- Highest elevation: 14,505 ft (Mount Whitney)
- Population 39,250,017 (2016 est)
- Admission to the Union: September 9, 1850 (31th)
Gwen Renée Stefani
; born October 3, 1969) is an American singer
, fashion designer
, and occasional actress
. Stefani debuted in 1992 as the frontwoman of the rock
band No Doubt
, whose 1995 album Tragic Kingdom
propelled them to stardom, selling 16 million copies worldwide. It spawned the singles "Just a Girl
", and "Don't Speak
". The band's popularity went into decline with its fourth album, Return of Saturn
(2000), but Rock Steady
(2001) introduced dancehall
production into its music, and generally received positive reviews.
Stefani recorded her first solo album Love. Angel. Music. Baby. in 2004. The album was primarily inspired by music of the 1980s, taking Stefani's work further into pop and dance music, and enjoyed international success with sales of over seven million. The album's third single "Hollaback Girl" became the first U.S. digital download to sell one million copies. Stefani's second solo album The Sweet Escape (2006) yielded "Wind It Up", a moderate worldwide success, and the United World Chart number one "The Sweet Escape". Including her work with No Doubt, Stefani has sold more than 30 million albums worldwide.
- File:1967 Mantra-Rock Dance Avalon poster.jpg
- File:2010 mavericks competition.jpg
- File:20070616 Chris Young visits Wrigley (4)-edit3.jpg
- File:Agassiz statue Mwc00715.jpg
- File:Albino Alligator 2008.jpg
- File:Bodie ghost town.jpg
- File:Border USA Mexico.jpg
- File:Burned mobile home neighborhood in California edit.jpg
- File:CA Ground Squirrel on rock.jpg
- File:CID Array.jpg
- File:California island Vinckeboons5.jpg
- File:California state coat of arms (illustrated, 1876).jpg
- File:Crystal Mountains CA02.jpg
- File:Deathvalleysky nps big.jpg
- File:Devastation in San Bruno.jpg
- File:EdwardTeller1958 fewer smudges.jpg
- File:Elephant seals fighting.jpg
- File:Fort Baker and Angel Island.jpg
- File:Fort Mason Center and Downtown San Francisco.jpg
- File:GGB reflection in raindrops.jpg
- File:Giant Marbles in Joshua Tree National Park.jpg
- File:GoldenGateBridge BakerBeach MC.jpg
- File:Grauman's Chinese Theatre, by Carol Highsmith fixed & straightened.jpg
- File:Greater Yellowlegs2.jpg
- File:Gull ca usa.jpg
- File:Hawk eating prey.jpg
- File:Hotel Del c1900b.jpg
- File:Jfader dryden.jpg
- File:Joshua tree keys view pano more vertical.jpg
- File:LAPD Bell 206 Jetranger.jpg
- File:LagunaBeachCA photo D Ramey Logan.JPG
- File:Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird.jpg
- File:Los Angeles Pollution.jpg
- File:Los angeles from getty panorama.jpg
- File:Map of Cathedral Peak Granodiorite.svg
- File:Mission Santa Clara.jpg
- File:Mono lake tufa.JPG
- File:Official Portrait of President Reagan 1981.jpg
- File:Palace of Fine Arts San Francisco January 2014 003.jpg
- File:Photograph of Members of the Mochida Family Awaiting Evacuation - NARA - 537505 - Restoration.jpg
- File:Pioneertown california saloon and bath house.jpg
- File:Point Reyes Lighthouse (April 2012).jpg
- File:Randy's donuts1 edit1.jpg
- File:Ronald Reagan with cowboy hat 12-0071M edit.jpg
- File:San Francisco International Airport at night.jpg
- File:San Francisco in ruin edit2.jpg
- File:San gorgonio pass wind farm california pano.jpg
- File:SanFranciscoharbor1851c sharp.jpg
- File:Strip photo of San Francisco Cable Car 10.jpg
- File:Surfer in california 2.JPG
- File:Tower Bridge Sacramento edit.jpg
- File:USA Lassen NP Kings Creek CA edit3.jpg
- File:Vernal Falls Rainbow.jpg
- File:Vineyards of Napa Valley panorama.jpg
- File:Walt Disney Concert Hall, LA, CA, jjron 22.03.2012.jpg
- File:World War II woman aircraft worker, Vega Aircraft Corporation, Burbank, California 1942.jpg
- File:Zabriskie Point, Death Valley, California, panorama.jpg
- File:Zabriskie Point-Panorama-edit2.jpg
Things you can do