Visual illustration on how to play Ristiseiska:
1. Player who has seven of the clubs in their hand, starts the game by placing the card on board.
2. Next players may either place another seven if they have it (e.g. seven of hearts) or card number 6 beneath the 7, if corresponding 7 has previously been placed on table.
3. Only after 6 has been placed under 7, corresponding 8 may be placed on top of 7. Before 8 has been placed on board, 5 may not be played on top of 6.
4. After both 6 and 8 have been placed on board, players may start placing larger and smaller cards from their hands (e.g. 5 or 9).
5. Cards are placed in number order first 8, then 9, then 10, continuing with jack and queen.
6. After ace (1) is placed on top of lower pile, it will be turned over. Player may continue and play another card if they wish.
7. King will turn the upper pile over. The player may choose to continue playing if they want and place another card on table. In this simulated game situation, the player could first place ace of hearts on top 2 of hearts, then continue by placing king of hearts and continue their turn by placing a third card, say 4 of spades. Therefore, player would have eliminated three cards from his hand in a single turn.