The Cartoon Network Portal
Cartoon Network is an American cable television network owned by The Cartoon Network, Inc., a subsidiary of Turner Broadcasting System, itself being a subsidiary of Time Warner which airs animated programming. The channel was launched on October 1, 1992, after Turner purchased the animation studio Hanna-Barbera Productions in 1991. It was originally a 24-hour outlet for classic animation properties from the Turner Broadcasting libraries and was all-ages-oriented which it broadcasts in time-sharing with TCM, but now the channel targets children and teens (about ages 7–15) and older teens and adults with mature content during its late night daypart Adult Swim, which is treated as a separate entity for promotional and ratings purposes.
The network broadcasts shows ranging from action to animated comedy. Original series started in 1993 with The Moxy Show, along with Cartoon Cartoons original programs such as Dexter's Laboratory, Cow and Chicken, I Am Weasel, The Powerpuff Girls, Ed, Edd n Eddy, Johnny Bravo, The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy, Codename: Kids Next Door, and Courage the Cowardly Dog. Their current original programs are Adventure Time, The Amazing World of Gumball, Clarence (2014 TV series), Teen Titans Go!, We Bare Bears, Steven Universe, The Powerpuff Girls (2016 TV series), and Ben 10 (2016 TV series).
My Gym Partner's a Monkey is an animated television series created by Timothy and Julie McNally Cahill and produced by Cartoon Network Studios. It premiered on Cartoon Network on February 21, 2005, and on The WB Television Network on January 7, 2006. The story revolves around Adam Lyon, a human who, after a clerical error listed his surname as "Lion," is forced to transfer to Charles Darwin Middle School, a school for local anthropomorphic zoo animals, where he is partnered with Jake Spidermonkey in gym, with whom he quickly becomes best friends. The series aired 96 episodes, one special and a feature film during its run. The series ended its 4-season run on November 27, 2007. On April 27, 2012, this series returned to Cartoon Network to show reruns on the revived block, Cartoon Planet. Two DVD volumes have been released in 2007 and 2008. My Gym Partner's a Monkey was a ratings success for Cartoon Network, gaining millions of viewers. The series was met with generally positive reviews from critics. It was nominated for four Annie Awards and one Emmy Award, winning the Emmy Award.
- September 2, 2001 – Adult Swim (logo pictured), a programming block from its Turner sister cable channel Cartoon Network, is initiated.
- September 2, 2001 – The Brak Show (2001-2003), Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law (2001-2007) and Sealab 2021 (2001-2005) debuts on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim block
- September 6, 2010 – Regular Show, created by J. G. Quintel debuts on Cartoon Network (2010-present)
- September 9, 2001 – Aqua Teen Hunger Force debuts on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim block (2001-present)
- September 14, 2007 – Out of Jimmy's Head, a live-action/animated television series debuts on Cartoon Network (2007-2008)
- September 17, 2010 – Sym-Bionic Titan, created by Genndy Tartakovsky debuts on Cartoon Network (2010-2011)