The Cats Portal
Selected article -
) (Brazilian Portuguese
: onça pintada
) is a New World mammal
of the Felidae
family and one of four "big cats
" in the Panthera genus
, along with the tiger
of the Old World
. The jaguar is the third-largest feline after the tiger and lion, and is the largest and most powerful feline in the Western Hemisphere
. The jaguar's present range extends from Mexico
(with occasional sightings in the southwestern United States
) across much of Central America and south to Paraguay
and northern Argentina
The spotted cat most closely resembles the leopard physically, although it is of sturdier build and its behavioural and habitat characteristics are closer to those of the tiger. While dense jungle is its preferred habitat, the jaguar will range across a variety of forested and open terrain. It is strongly associated with the presence of water and is notable, along with the tiger, as a feline that enjoys swimming. (Full article...)
The Snow Leopard
, is a large cat native to the mountain ranges of Central Asia
Selected breed -
The Turkish Van
is a breed
that may be derived from a type still to be found in the Lake Van
region of present-day Turkey
. The coat on a Van is considered semi-longhaired. While many cats have three distinct hair types in their coat - guard hairs
, awn hairs
and down hairs
- the Turkish Van only has one. This makes their coat feel like cashmere
or rabbit fur, and the coat dries quickly when wet. Turkish Vans are very intelligent, and will easily take over their home and owners. Vans are people cats that want to be with them wherever they go.
Did you know... -
- ...that the fauna of Scotland includes almost half of the EU’s breeding seabirds, but only one endemic vertebrate species, and that although a population of wildcats (pictured) remains, many of the larger mammals were hunted to extinction in historic times?
- ...that the average lifespan of a feral cat who survives kittenhood is two years, compared to 16 years for house cats?
- ...that in addition to human spaceflight, there have been many animals in space, including monkeys, apes, mice, dogs, guinea pigs, frogs, rats, cats, tortoises, fish, newts, insects, snails, spiders and nematodes?
- ...that in cat coat genetics, two different X-chromosome alleles must be expressed to create a calico?
- ...that Socks was one of Bill Clinton's two pets while President of the United States?
- ... that Grumpy Cat's signature facial expression is permanent and probably caused by feline dwarfism?
File:Bengal tiger (Panthera tigris tigris) female 3 crop.jpg
File:Carl Kahler - My Wife's Lovers.jpg
File:Cheetah (Acinonyx jubatus) cub.jpg
File:Cheetah (Acinonyx jubatus) female 2.jpg
File:Cheetah cub close-up edit2.jpg
File:Felis silvestris silvestris.jpg
File:Jaguar (Panthera onca palustris) male Three Brothers River 2.jpg
File:June odd-eyed-cat cropped.jpg
File:Leopardo (Panthera pardus) devorando un antílope, parque nacional Kruger, Sudáfrica, 2018-07-26, DD 06.jpg
File:Panthera tigris tigris Tidoba 20150306.jpg
Things you can do