- Disasters and accidents
- Politics and elections
- Presidential transition of Donald Trump
- President-elect Donald Trump fills in more of his White House staff. (The Hill):
- Trump nominates Katie Walsh, former Republican National Committee (RNC) chief of staff, as Deputy White House Chief of Staff.
- Trump nominates Joe Hagin, former Deputy Chief of Staff for President George W. Bush, as Deputy White House chief of staff for operations.
- Trump nominates Rajiv Shah, former RNC Deputy Research Director, as White House research director.
- Trump nominates Rick Dearborn, United States Attorney General designee and Senator Jeff Sessions' former chief of staff, as head of the White House legislative affairs office.
- Trump nominates Omarosa Manigault, former contestant on The Apprentice, as an assistant to the president and director of communications for the Office of Public Liaison. (USA Today)
- Trump nominates Wall Street lawyer Jay Clayton to head the Securities and Exchange Commission. (The Washington Post)
- Law and crime
- Science and technology