March 1997 was the third month of that common year. The month, which began on a Saturday, ended on a Monday after 31 days.
This is an archived version of Wikipedia's Current events Portal from March 1997.
March 13, 1997
- The tail of a Russian An-24 charter plane breaks off while en route to Turkey, causing the plane to crash, killing all 50 on board, and resulting in the grounding of all An-24s.
- In Zaire, Etienne Tshiksekedi is appointed prime minister; he ejects supporters of Mobutu Sese Seko from his cabinet.
- Mercenaries of Sandline International withdraw from Papua New Guinea.
March 22, 1997
March 26, 1997
- In San Diego, 39 Heaven's Gate cultists commit mass suicide at their compound.
- Julius Chan resigns as prime minister of Papua New Guinea, ending the Sandline affair.
||Wikimedia Commons has media related to March 1997.|