Info: The members and supporters of the East Frisia portal are listed here by topic and geographical assignment.
Information on missing articles is given here.
Your questions about East Frisia may be answered at the talk page.
Image of the month
A Maibaum or traditional maypole in East Frisia
In Germany the maypole or Maibaum is a tradition going back to the 16th century. The decorated tree or tree trunk is usually erected on the evening before 1 May in East Frisia. In most areas, it is usual to have a ceremony to erect the maypole on the village green and to combine it with a village or town fete. more…
Did you know, that...?
... Rudolf Eucken who was born in Aurich is the only Nobel prize winner from East Frisia? more…
New and expanded articles
The following are articles, related to East Frisia, added in the last six months.
All articles on East Frisia are here
Articles on East Frisian people are here.
In the news
- With seven concerts held on Midsummer's Day on the East Frisian Islands, the group Triangel is attempting to get into the Guinness Book of Records. At midnight, the group played first on Borkum, then made their way throughout the day to Wangerooge, where the final concert of the day was given at 9:30 pm. Source: Norderneyer Morgen, 23 June 2010 Link
- Football Oberliga side, Kickers Emden, will host its games in future in the Deichkicker Arena. With this renaming of the stadium, the club is drawing a line under the era of former Kickers president, Engelbert Schmidt, after whose company the venue was named five years ago. Source: Ostfriesen Zeitung, 12 May 2010 Link
- The municipality of Krummhörn is hoping to establish a partnership with Grundy County in Iowa. Many of the local Iowan inhabitants are descended from East Frisian emigrants. If the Krummhörn council agrees, the partnership could be sealed in October in the Grundy Centre during "East Frisian week". Source: Emder Zeitung, 11 May 2010 Link
- The town of Leer hopes to be included in a state programme of renovating old town centres. This would make available 4.4 million euros within the next ten years. Grants are primarily for private houses that are listed buildings which are worth preserving. The renovation action is needed; out of 410 buildings surveyed in the old town 243 have small, medium or major damage. The application for funding must be made by 1 June. Source: Ostfriesen Zeitung, 7 May 2010 Link
- Dykes in the town of Emden and in Aurich district survived the winter well. Two light floods caused virtually no damage to the dykes and sluice between Borssumer Siel and the Leybucht.Source: Emder Zeitung, 7 May 2010 Link
- In April the employment district of Emden had the steepest drop in the unemployment rate of all districts in Lower Saxony. The rate fell from 10% in March to its currentlevel of 8.5%, below last year's level of 9.1%. This represents a decrease of 14.8% over March 2010 and by 5.4% over the previous year. Source: Ostfriesische Nachrichten, 29 April 2010 Link
- Aurich has been cholse to be the organizer of the Day of Lower Saxony in 2011. This is the second time the town has hosted the state event, the last time being in 1982. The event due to take place from 24 to 26 June 2011. Source: Ostfriesische Nachrichten, 28. April 2010 Link
- Alpha ventus, the first and only German offshore wind farm, was officially put into operation at an official ceremony on the supply platform. The wind farm is expected to supply at least 220 gigawatt hours of energy every year to the grid. This is enough to supply 50,000 households. Source: Spiegel Online, 27 April 2010 Link
- The 29th Ossiloop run will start this evening with a record attendance of over 2,200 runners from Bensersiel. The running event is the largest of its kind in East Friesland. This year, its direction was changed. For the first time it will run from the sea to Leer. Source: General Anzeiger, 27 April 2010 Link
The following are wanted articles, related to East Frisia, that exist on German Wikipedia.