The Education Portal
is the process of facilitating learning
, or the acquisition of knowledge
, and habits
. Educational methods include storytelling
, and directed research
. Education frequently takes place under the guidance of educators, but learners may also educate themselves
. Education can take place in formal
settings and any experience
that has a formative effect on the way one thinks, feels, or acts may be considered educational. The methodology of teaching is called pedagogy
Education is commonly divided formally into such stages as preschool or kindergarten, primary school, secondary school and then college, university, or apprenticeship.
A right to education has been recognized by some governments and the United Nations. In most regions, education is compulsory up to a certain age.
are those who help students
or pupils learn
, often in a school
. The objective is typically a course of study, lesson plan
, or a practical skill, including learning
skills. The different ways to teach are often referred to as the teacher's pedagogy
. When deciding what teaching method to use, a teacher will need to consider students' background knowledge, environment, and their learning goals as well as standardized curricula as determined by the relevant authority.
Teaching can also be mixed with entertainment. When the term education is combined with entertainment, the term edutainment is coined. Edutainment also called 'e-learning' are new methods and practices that enabled learning in faster, more efficient and more entertaining ways. The idea is usually to combine games with learning, using software or interactive courses.
In many cultures, teaching is referred to as a profession. Arguments for this include the respect that is felt for teachers in some cultures, the existence of a body of specialised professional knowledge, and codes of ethics. Others dispute this appellation because of significant differences with other professions, especially concerning teaching's relatively low status, low salaries, and its lack of power to control entry to the profession. These aspects all vary greatly by culture.
||If we are to reach real peace in this world ... we shall have to begin with the children.
Did you know...
Things you can do
Join the Education WikiProject - Help work on the tasks list
Education WikiProject and Portal
Here are some Education
related tasks you can do
- Focus (top priority) articles: Education, School, Pedagogy, Learning, Lifelong learning, Public school
- Refine/polish to FA status: Critical thinking, John Dewey, Educational animation, Educational psychology
- Cleanup/Copyedit: Constructivism (learning theory), Distance education, Early childhood education, Philosophy of education, Physical education, Neil Postman, E-Learning, More...
- Collaborate: Coordinate with m:Wikiversity (on Meta; also on Wikibooks), Coordinate at the Wikipedia:Education noticeboard based upon Wikipedia:Student assignments, More...
- Expand: List of community colleges in the United States with campus housing Princess Nora bint Abdul Rahman University, Queer Pedagogy, Educational software, Educational technology, Glossary of education-related terms (A-C), Higher education, Instructional theory, Learning theory (education), Nursery school (redirect from "Preschool"), Situated learning, Vocational education, Paulo Freire, Friedrich Fröbel, Donald Schön, Lev Vygotsky, Etienne Wenger, Rhodes University, More...
- Expert attention: Knowledge Cafe, LogoVisual thinking, Whole language, Reading comprehension, Learning to read,
- Merge/Split: Year One (education), Year Two, Year Three, Year Four, Year Five, Year Six, Year Seven, Year Eight, Year Nine, Year Ten, Year Eleven, Year Twelve, Edutainment, Four stages of competence, Intellectual giftedness, Hebbian theory, More...
- NPOV: Applied behavior analysis, Bullying, Charter school, Collegiate Network, Direct instruction, Education reform, Gregg Harris, Theory of multiple intelligences, Youth subculture, More...
- Requests: Puerto Rico Schools for the 21st Century,12 California Association of Student Leaders, Test-taking strategies, More...
- Stubs: Educational research, Mature student, Psychology of learning (merge?), More...
- Verify: Add sources to Unreferenced BLPs
- Wikify: E-mentoring, MLearning, Community podcast, Basic writing, Interprofessional education More...
- Add Global Perspectives: Teacher
- Other issues: Experiential education
- Note: These articles may overlap with those on Alternative education or other related lists. If you would like to make a change, either do so yourself, or make a suggestion.