Culture • Economy • Geography • History • People • Politics • Government • Districts
, on the Beas River valley
, is an important hill station in the Himalayan
mountains of Himachal Pradesh
, near the northern end of the Kullu
Valley. The average elevation is nearly about 1,950 metres (6,398 ft). Manali is one of the most popular Himalayan
tourist destination and accounts for nearly a quarter of all tourist arrivals in Himachal Pradesh. It is visited by many trekkers who follow the hashish trail. Manali's charas
is considered to be the best in India. It is famous for adventure sports like skiing, hiking, mountaineering, para gliding, rafting, trekking, kayaking, and mountain biking.
It also offers hot springs, spectacular religious shrines and temples, Tibetan Buddhist temples, and trekking in the surrounding mountains.
Manali is known for its shiny gompas or Buddhist monasteries. With the highest concentration of Tibetan refugees in the entire Kullu valley, it is famous for its Gadhan Thekchhokling Gompa, built in 1969. The monastery is maintained by donations from the local community and through the sale of hand-woven carpets in the temple workshop.
(born 1987) is an Indian film actress. She has established a career in Bollywood
, and is the recipient of a National Film Award
and three Filmfare Awards
. She was born in Bhambla, a small town in Himachal Pradesh
. Adamant to build her own career path, she relocated to Delhi at age sixteen, where she briefly became a model. After training under the theatre director Arvind Gaur
, she made her film debut in the 2006 thriller Gangster
. She received praise for portraying emotionally intense characters in the dramas Woh Lamhe
(2006), Life in a... Metro
(2007) and Fashion
(2008). For the last of these, she won the National Film Award for Best Supporting Actress
. Ranaut featured in the successful films Raaz: The Mystery Continues
(2009) and Once Upon a Time in Mumbaai
(2010), though she was criticised for being typecast in neurotic
roles. A comic role opposite R. Madhavan
in Tanu Weds Manu
(2011) was well-received, though this was followed by brief roles in unsuccessful films. She then played a mutant
in the science fiction film Krrish 3
(2013), one of the highest-grossing Bollywood films
, and won the Filmfare Award for Best Actress
for the comedy-drama Queen
Himachal Pradesh News
Did you know...
- ...Tribal District of Himachal Pradesh Lahaul and Spiti had been adjudged the Best in maintaining female sex ratio in the country with 1017 females against one thousand males during past decade.
- ...that the Kalka-Shimla Railway holds the world record for greatest inclination of over 5816 ft (1772 mt) in its 96 kms stretch?
- ...that Himachal Pradesh is ranked as second least corrupt state in India.
- ...that Lahul and Spiti is the largest district of Himachal Pradesh with an area of 13,835km2?
- ...that with an area of 55,658 km² (21,490 sq mi), Himachal is one of the smaller states of the country and holds the 17th rank in the list of States and Union Territories of India?
- ...the Kalka-Shimla Railway track has a length of 96 kilometers and passes through 102 tunnels and crosses 864 bridges?
- ...there are over 10,000 primary schools, 1,000 secondary schools and more than 1,300 high schools in Himachal?
Things you can do
Photos required: Guge, Economy of Himachal Pradesh, History of Himachal Pradesh, Climate of Himachal Pradesh, Gobind Sagar, Renuka Lake, Ruskin Bond, Government of Himachal Pradesh
Citations/References required: Institute of Engineering and Emerging Technologies, National Institute of Technology, Hamirpur, Jaypee University of Information Technology, Dr. Yashwant Singh Parmar University of Horticulture and Forestry
Clean-up required: Virbhadra Singh, Sat Mahajan
Information required: for towns. Please check list of towns in Himachal Pradesh and see if you can assist in improving the contents of any town, as per Guide to layout and Manual of Style.
Purge server cache