From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Selected anniversaries in June
- 1633 - Birth of Geminiano Montanari, Italian astronomer (d. 1687)
- 1795 - Death of Pierre-Joseph Desault, French anatomist and surgeon (b. 1744)
- 1796 - Birth of Nicolas Léonard Sadi Carnot, French mathematician (d. 1832)
- 1833 - James Clark Ross discovers the position of the North Magnetic Pole on the Boothia Peninsula.
- 1846 - Urbain Le Verrier predicts the existence and location of Neptune from irregularities in the orbit of Uranus.
- 1899 - Birth of Edward Charles Titchmarsh, English mathematician (d. 1963)
- 1917 - Birth of William S. Knowles, American chemist and Nobel Prize laureate
- 1940 - Birth of Kip Thorne, American physicist
- 1941 - Death of Hans Berger, German neuroscientist (b. 1873)
- 1978 - The first international applications under the Patent Cooperation Treaty are filed.
- 1979 - Death of Werner Forssmann, German physician and Nobel Prize laureate (b. 1904)
- 1990 - U.S. President George H. W. Bush and Soviet Union leader Mikhail Gorbachev sign a treaty to end chemical weapon production and start destroying each of their nation's stockpiles.
- 2000 - The multilateral Patent Law Treaty (PLT) is signed.
- 2006 - The first Under Secretary for Science of the US, Raymond L. Orbach, is sworn in.
- 1657 - Death of William Harvey, English physician and natural philosopher (b. 1578)
- 1659 - Birth of David Gregory, Scottish astronomer (d. 1708)
- 1723 - Birth of Giovanni Antonio Scopoli, Italian-Austrian physician and naturalist (d. 1788)
- 1726 O.S. - Birth of James Hutton, Scottish geologist (d. 1797)
- 1769 - The transit of Venus is observed from many places in order to obtain data for measuring the distance from the Earth to the Sun, most notably by James Cook in Tahiti.
- 1873 - Birth of Otto Loewi, German-American pharmacologist and Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1961)
- 1879 - Birth of Raymond Pearl, American biologist (d. 1940)
- 1899 - Birth of Georg von Békésy, Hungarian biophysicist and Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1972)
- 1924 - Birth of Torsten Wiesel, Swedish neuroscientist and Nobel Prize laureate
- 1929 - Birth of Werner Arber, Swiss microbiologist and Nobel Prize laureate
- 1969 - The science fiction television series Star Trek airs its final new episode after being canceled by NBC after a three-season run.
- 1977 - Death of Archibald Vivian Hill, English physiologist and Nobel Prize laureate (b. 1886)
- 1990 - Death of Robert Noyce, American inventor (b. 1927)
June 5: World Environment Day
- 1553 - Birth of Bernardino Baldi, Italian mathematician (d. 1617)
- 1656 - Birth of Joseph Pitton de Tournefort, French botanist (d. 1708)
- 1716 - Death of Roger Cotes, English mathematician (b. 1682)
- 1757 - Birth of Pierre Jean George Cabanis, French physiologist (d. 1808)
- 1760 - Birth of Johan Gadolin, Finnish scientist (d. 1852)
- 1819 - Birth of John Couch Adams, English mathematician and astronomer (d. 1892)
- 1862 - Birth of Allvar Gullstrand, Swedish ophthalmologist and Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1930)
- 1883 - Birth of John Maynard Keynes, English economist (d. 1946)
- 1900 - Birth of Dennis Gabor, Hungarian physicist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1979)
- 1977 - The Apple II, the first practical personal computer, goes on sale.
- 1981 - The Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention report that five homosexual men in Los Angeles, California have a rare form of pneumonia seen only in patients with weakened immune systems, in what turns out to be the first recognized cases of AIDS.
- 1995 - Bose-Einstein condensate is first created.
- 1436 - Birth of Regiomontanus, German mathematician (d. 1476)
- 1519 - Birth of Andrea Cesalpino, Italian botanist (d. 1603)
- 1580 - Birth of Godefroy Wendelin, Flemish astronomer (d. 1667)
- 1683 - The Ashmolean Museum in Oxford, England, opens as the world's first university museum.
- 1761 - Many astronomers, including Mikhail Lomonosov and Joseph-Nicolas Delisle's 62 member network, observe the first transit of Venus since Edmond Halley suggested that its observation could determine the distance from the Earth to the Sun.
- 1850 - Birth of Karl Ferdinand Braun, German physicist and Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1918)
- 1877 - Birth of Hans Sachs, German serologist (d. 1945)
- 1878 - Death of Robert Stirling, Scottish inventor (b. 1790)
- 1906 - Birth of Max August Zorn, German-born mathematician (d. 1993)
- 1918 - Birth of Edwin G. Krebs, American biochemist and Nobel Prize laureate
- 1933 - Birth of Heinrich Rohrer, Swiss physicist and Nobel Prize laureate
- 1943 - Birth of Richard Smalley, American chemist and Nobel Prize laureate
- 1944 - Birth of Phillip Allen Sharp, American molecular biologist and Nobel Prize laureate
- 1961 - Death of Carl Jung, Swiss psychiatrist (b. 1875)
- 1971 - Spacecraft Soyuz 11 launches.
- 1996 - Death of George Davis Snell, American geneticist and Nobel Prize laureate (b. 1903)
- 1654 - Louis XIV, founder of the Académie des sciences, is crowned King of France.
- 1787 - Birth of William Daniel Conybeare, English geologist (d. 1857)
- 1826 - Death of Joseph von Fraunhofer, German physicist (b. 1787)
- 1862 - Birth of Philipp Lenard, Austrian physicist and Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1947)
- 1877 - Birth of Charles Glover Barkla, English physicist and Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1944)
- 1896 - Birth of Robert S. Mulliken, American physical chemist and Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1986)
- 1942 - Death of Alan Blumlein, English electronics engineer (b. 1903)
- 1954 - Death of Alan Turing, British mathematician and computer scientist (b. 1912)
- 1978 - Death of Ronald George Wreyford Norrish, British chemist, Nobel Prize laureate (b. 1897)
June 8: World Ocean Day
- 1706 - Birth of John Dollond, English optician (d. 1761)
- 1710 - Birth of James Short, Scottish mathematician and optician (d. 1768)
- 1803 - Birth of Henry Darcy, French scientist (d. 1858)
- 1804 - Birth of Hermann Schlegel, German ornithologist (d. 1884)
- 1836 - Death of André-Marie Ampère, French physicist (b. 1775)
- 1858 - Death of Robert Brown, British botanist (b. 1773)
- 1861 - Birth of Pierre Duhem, French physicist and philosopher of science (d. 1916)
- 1929 - Birth of E. O. Wilson, American biologist
- 1944 - Death of Willem Jacob van Stockum, Dutch physicist (b. 1910)
- 2003 - The Spirit Rover is launched, beginning NASA's Mars Exploration Rover mission.
- 1773 - Birth of Thomas Young, English scientist (d. 1829)
- 1831 - Birth of James Clerk Maxwell, Scottish physicist (d. 1879)
- 1870 - Birth of Jules Bordet, Belgian immunologist, microbiologist, and Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1961)
- 1876 - Birth of William Sealey Gosset, English chemist and statistician (d. 1937)
- 1906 - Birth of Bruno de Finetti, Italian mathematician and statistician (d. 1985)
- 1911 - Birth of Luis Alvarez, American physicist and Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1988)
- 1928 - Birth of John Forbes Nash, American mathematician
- 1966 - Birth of Grigori Perelman, Russian mathematician
- 1972 - Death of Georg von Békésy, Hungarian biophysicist and Nobel Prize laureate (b. 1899)
- 1983 - Pioneer 10 becomes the first manmade object to leave the solar system.
- 1995 - French president Jacques Chirac announces the resumption of nuclear tests in French Polynesia.
- 1444 (O.S.) - Birth of Nilakantha Somayaji, Indian mathematician (d. 1544)
- 1726 - Birth of James Hutton, Scottish geologist (d. 1797)
- 1736 - Birth of Charles Augustin de Coulomb, French physicist (d. 1806)
- 1746 - Death of Colin Maclaurin, Scottish mathematician (b. 1698)
- 1856 - Birth of Andrey Markov, Russian mathematician (d. 1922)
- 1868 - Birth of Karl Landsteiner, Austrian biologist, physician, and Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1943)
- 1903 - Birth of Alonzo Church, American mathematician and logician (d. 1995)
- 1917 - Birth of Atle Selberg, Norwegian mathematician
- 1920 - Death of Max Weber, German sociologist (b. 1864)
- 1962 - The European Space Research Organisation is established in Paris—later becoming the European Space Agency.
- 1967 - Mariner 5 is launched toward Venus.
- 1967 - The People's Republic of China tests its first hydrogen bomb.
- 1633 - Birth of Jean de Thévenot, French traveler and scientist (d. 1667)
- 1801 - Birth of Julius Plücker, German mathematician and physicist (d. 1868)
- 1806 - Birth of Edward Davy, English physician, chemist, and inventor (d. 1885)
- 1826 - Birth of Constantin von Ettingshausen, Austrian geologist and botanist (d. 1897)
- 1840 - Birth of Ernst Otto Schlick, German engineer (d. 1913)
- 1871 - University Tests Act allows students to enter the Universities of Oxford, Cambridge and Durham without religious tests, except for courses in theology.
- 1880 - Birth of Otto Eisenschiml, Austrian-American chemist and historian (d. 1963)
- 1888 - Birth of Alexander Alexandrovich Friedman, Russian physicist (d. 1925)
- 1897 - Birth of Georg Wittig, German chemist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1987)
- 1902 - Birth of Barbara McClintock, American geneticist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1992)
- 1902 - Death of Ernst Schröder, German mathematician (b. 1841)
- 1902 - Birth of George Gaylord Simpson, American paleontologist (d. 1984)
- 1903 - Ford Motor Company incorporates.
- 1909 - Birth of Archie Fairley Carr, biologist (d. 1987)
- 1915 - Birth of John Tukey, American statistician
- 1920 - Birth of Raymond U. Lemieux, Canadian scientist (d. 2002)
- 1930 - Death of Elmer Ambrose Sperry, American inventor (b. 1860)
- 1963 - Cosmonaut Valentina Tereshkova becomes the first woman in space in the Soviet Space Program Vostok 6 Mission.
- 1977 - Death of Wernher von Braun, German-born rocket scientist (b. 1912)
- 1981 - Death of Jule Gregory Charney, meteorologist (b. 1917)
- 2000 - The Science Council, the umbrella body for scientific professional institutes and learned societies in the UK, is launched.
- 1650 - Death of Christoph Scheiner, German astronomer
- 1178 - Five Canterbury monks see what was possibly the Giordano Bruno crater being formed.
- 1845 - Birth of Charles Louis Alphonse Laveran, French physician and Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1922)
- 1858 - Charles Darwin receives from Alfred Russel Wallace a paper that included nearly identical conclusions about evolution as Darwin's own, prompting Darwin to publish his theory.
- 1886 - Birth of Alexander Wetmore, American ornithologist (d. 1978)
- 1905 - Death of Per Teodor Cleve Swedish chemist (b. 1840)
- 1918 - Birth of Jerome Karle, American chemist and Nobel Prize laureate
- 1922 - Death of Jacobus Kapteyn, Dutch astronomer (b. 1851)
- 1930 - Groundbreaking ceremonies for the Franklin Institute held.
- 1932 - Birth of Dudley R. Herschbach, American chemist and Nobel Prize laureate
- 1971 - Death of Paul Karrer, Swiss chemist and Nobel Prize laureate (b. 1889)
- 1976 - Gravity Probe A, a satellite-based experiment to test Albert Einstein's theory of general relativity, is launched.
- 1800 - death of Abraham Gotthelf Kästner, German mathematician (b. 1719)
- 1861 - birth of Frederick Hopkins, English biochemist and Nobel laureate (d. 1947)
- 1877 - Alexander Graham Bell installs world's first commercial telephone service in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.
- 1889 - birth of John S. Paraskevopoulos, Greek-South African astronomer (d. 1951)
- 1894 - birth of Lloyd Hall, American chemist (d. 1971)
- 1941 - birth of Ulf Merbold, German physicist and astronaut
- 1958 - death of Kurt Alder, German chemist and Nobel laureate (b. 1902)
- 1963 - death of Raphaël Salem, Greek mathematician (b. 1898)
- 1990 - Asteroid Eureka discovered.
- 2002 - death of Erwin Chargaff, Austrian biochemist (b. 1905)
- 2005 - death of Jack Kilby, American electrical engineer and Nobel laureate (b. 1923)
- 1646 (O.S.) - birth of Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz, German philosopher and scientist (d. 1716)
- 1781 - birth of Siméon-Denis Poisson, French mathematician and physicist (d. 1840)
- 1805 - birth of Charles Thomas Jackson, American scientist, polymath (d. 1880)
- 1811 - birth of Carlo Matteucci, Italian physicist (d. 1868)
- 1823 - birth of Jean Chacornac, French astronomer (d. 1873)
- 1828 - birth of Ferdinand André Fouqué, French geologist (d. 1904)
- 1870 - birth of Clara Immerwahr, German chemist (d. 1915)
- 1874 - death of Anders Jonas Ångström, Swedish physicist (b. 1814)
- 1876 - birth of Willem Hendrik Keesom, Dutch physicist (d. 1956)
- 1887 - birth of Norman L. Bowen, Canadian petrologist (d. 1956)
- 1898 - birth of Donald C. Peattie, American botanist and writer (d. 1964)
- 1918 - birth of James Clyde Mitchell, English sociologist and anthropologist
- 1951 - death of Charles Dillon Perrine, American astronomer (b. 1867)
- 1957 - death of Johannes Stark, German physicist, Nobel Prize laureate (b. 1874)
- 2004 - civilian space ship SpaceShipOne is launched, reaching an altitude of 100 km (62.5 miles), just passing the edge of space.
- 1429 - death of Ghiyath al-Kashi, Persian astronomer and mathematician (b. 1380)
- 1633 - The Holy Office in Rome forces Galileo Galilei to recant his view that the Sun, not the Earth, is the center of the Universe.
- 1744 - birth of Johann Christian Polycarp Erxleben, German naturalist (d. 1777)
- 1864 - birth of Hermann Minkowski, German mathematician (d. 1909)
- 1887 - birth of Julian Huxley, British biologist (d. 1975)
- 1892 - death of Pierre Ossian Bonnet, French mathematician (b. 1819)
- 1925 - death of Felix Klein, German mathematician (b. 1849)
- 1990 - death of Ilya Frank, Russian physicist and Nobel laureate (b. 1908)
- 2004 - death of Bob Bemer, American computer scientist (b. 1920)
- 2006 - The newly discovered moons of Pluto are officially named Hydra and Nix by the International Astronomical Union.
- 1612 - Birth of André Tacquet, Belgian mathematician (d. 1660)
- 1750 - Birth of Déodat Gratet de Dolomieu, French geologist (d. 1801)
- 1806 - Death of Mathurin Jacques Brisson, French naturalist (b. 1723)
- 1832 - Death of Sir James Hall, Bt, Scottish geologist (b. 1761)
- 1868 - Christopher Latham Sholes receives a patent for Type-Writer.
- 1881 - Death of Matthias Jakob Schleiden, German botanist (b. 1804)
- 1891 - Death of Wilhelm Eduard Weber, German physicist (b. 1804)
- 1894 - Birth of Alfred Kinsey, American entomologist and sexologist (d. 1956)
- 1931 - Wiley Post and Harold Gatty take off from Roosevelt Field, Long Island in an attempt to circumnavigate the world in a single-engine plane.
- 1988 - James E. Hansen testifies before the U.S. Senate that it was 99% probable that global warming had begun.
- 1995 - Death of Jonas Salk, American biologist and physician (b. 1914)
- 2006 - Death of Harriet, a 175 year old Galápagos tortoise reportedly collected by Charles Darwin (b. 1830)
- 1593 - Death of Michele Mercati, Italian physician and natural historian (b. 1541)
- 1671 - Death of Giovanni Battista Riccioli, Italian astronomer (b. 1598)
- 1678 - Italian mathematician Elena Cornaro Piscopia becomes the first woman awarded a doctorate of philosophy.
- 1814 - Birth of Gabriel Auguste Daubrée, French geologist (d. 1896)
- 1864 - Birth of Walther Nernst, German chemist and Nobel laureate (d. 1941)
- 1866 - Death of Alexander von Nordmann, Finnish zoologist (b. 1803)
- 1868 - Death of Carlo Matteucci, Italian physicist (b. 1811)
- 1894 - Birth of Hermann Oberth, German physicist (d. 1989)
- 1907 - Birth of J. Hans D. Jensen, German physicist and Nobel laureate (d. 1973)
- 1908 - Birth of Willard Van Orman Quine, American philosopher (d. 2000)
- 1911 - Birth of William Howard Stein, American chemist and Nobel laureate (d. 1980)
- 1928 - Birth of Alexei Alexeyevich Abrikosov, Russian physicist, Nobel laureate
- 1935 - Birth of Charles Sheffield, English-American science fiction author and physicist (d. 2002)
- 1974 - Death of Cornelius Lanczos, Hungarian mathematician (b. 1893)
- 1995 - Death of Ernest Walton, Irish physicist and Nobel laureate (b. 1903)
- 1997 - Death of Jacques-Yves Cousteau, French explorer (b. 1910)
- 1694 - Birth of Georg Brandt, Swedish chemist and mineralogist (d. 1768)
- 1730 - Birth of Charles Messier, French astronomer (d. 1817)
- 1793 - Death of Gilbert White, English ornithologist (b. 1720)
- 1810 - Death of Joseph Michel Montgolfier, inventor of the hot air balloon (b. 1740)
- 1824 - Birth of Lord Kelvin, Irish physicist and engineer (d. 1907)
- 1883 - Death of Edward Sabine, Irish physicist, astronomer and explorer (b. 1788)
- 1904 - Birth of Frank Scott Hogg, Canadian astronomer (d. 1951)
- 1937 - Birth of Robert Coleman Richardson, American physicist and Nobel laureate
- 1938 - Birth of Gerald North, American climatologist
- 1943 - Death of Karl Landsteiner, Austrian biologist and Nobel laureate (b. 1868)
- 1948 - William Shockley filed the original patent for the grown junction transistor, the first bipolar junction transistor.
June 27: National HIV Testing Day in United States
- 1717 - Birth of Louis Guillaume Lemonnier, French botanist (d. 1799)
- 1740 - Birth of John Latham, Australian physician and naturalist (d. 1837)
- 1787 - Birth of Thomas Say, American naturalist (d. 1834)
- 1829 - Death of James Smithson, English mineralogist and philanthropist (b. 1765)
- 1831 - Death of Sophie Germain, French mathematician (b. 1776)
- 1839 - Death of Allan Cunningham, English botanist and explorer (b. 1791),
- 1850 - Birth of Jørgen Pedersen Gram, Danish mathematician (d. 1919)
- 1869 - Birth of Hans Spemann, German embryologist and Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1941)
- 1898 - The first solo circumnavigation of the globe is completed by Joshua Slocum from Briar Island, Nova Scotia.
- 1918 - Death of George Mary Searle, American astronomer (b. 1839)
- 1931 - Birth of Martinus J. G. Veltman, Dutch physicist and Nobel Prize laureate
- 1952 - Death of Max Dehn, German mathematician (b. 1878)
- 1954 - The world's first nuclear power station opens in Obninsk, near Moscow.