Welcome to the Indiana Jones Portal!
The Indiana Jones franchise, based on the adventures of the fictional archeologist, is a media franchise that began in 1981 with the film Raiders of the Lost Ark. A prequel, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, followed in 1984 and the sequel Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, five years later in 1989. In 1992, The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles began airing on television. A fourth film, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, was released on May 22, 2008. The series was created by George Lucas; the films were directed by Steven Spielberg and star Harrison Ford.
In addition, Marvel Comics began publishing The Further Adventures of Indiana Jones in 1983, and Dark Horse Comics earned the comic book rights to the character in 1991. Novelizations of the films have been published, in addition to a series of German novels by Wolfgang Hohlbein, and twelve novels set before the films published by Bantam Books. Numerous video games about Indiana Jones have been released since 1982, with another set to be released.
Indiana Jones is a fictional adventurer, soldier, professor of archaeology, and the main protagonist of the Indiana Jones franchise. George Lucas created the character in homage to the action heroes of 1930s film serials. The character first appeared in the 1981 film Raiders of the Lost Ark, to be followed by Temple of Doom in 1984, The Last Crusade in 1989, The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles from 1992 to 1996, and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull in 2008. As well as film and television appearances, the character has been featured in novels, comics, video games, and other media. Jones is also featured in the theme park attraction Indiana Jones Adventure, which exists in similar forms at Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea.
Jones is most famously played by Harrison Ford; he has also been portrayed by River Phoenix (as the young Jones in The Last Crusade), and in the television series The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles by Corey Carrier, Sean Patrick Flanery, and George Hall. Doug Lee has supplied Jones's voice to two LucasArts video games, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis and Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine, while David Esch supplied his voice to Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb.
Tom Selleck was originally cast in the role in Raiders of the Lost Ark; however, due to Selleck's commitment to Magnum PI, he was replaced by Ford. The character's iconic outfit was designed by Jim Steranko. Jones is notable for his bullwhip, fedora, leather jacket, and fear of snakes.
- May 22, 2008 - Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull released worldwide as a financial success, grossing over $785 million worldwide, becoming the second highest grossing film of 2008. The film received generally positive reviews, as well as mixed reactions from fans.
- I hate snakes, Jacques! I HATE 'EM!
- [handing a torch to Marion] Here. Wave it at anything that slithers.
- [to Indy] You and I are very much alike. Archeology is our religion, yet we have both fallen from the pure faith. Our methods have not differed as much as you pretend. I am a shadowy reflection of you. And it would take only a nudge to make you like me, to push you out of the line.
- Look at this [holds up a silver pocket watch]: it's worthless. Ten dollars from a vendor in the street. But I take it, I bury it in the sand for a thousand years, it becomes priceless! Like the Ark. Men will kill for it; men like you and me.
- [after trapping Indy in the Well of Souls] You're about to become a permanent addition to this archaeological find. Who knows, in a thousand years, even you may be worth something!
- We are simply passing through history. [pointing to the Ark] This... this is history.
- Belloq: Jones, do you realize what the Ark is? It's a transmitter, it's a radio for speaking to God, and it's within my reach.
- Jones: You wanna to talk to God? Let's go see him together, I've got nothing better to do.
- Sallah: Indy. Why does the floor move?
- Jones: Gimme your torch. [drops the torch into the Well of Souls and finds it covered with snakes] Snakes. Why'd it have to be snakes?
- Sallah: Asps. Very dangerous. [pause] You go first.
- Jones: I'm going after that truck.
- Sallah: How?
- Jones: I don't know, I'm making this up as I go.
- Marion: You're not the man I knew ten years ago.
- Jones:' It's not the years, honey; it's the mileage.
- Nice try, Lao Che!
- Nothing shocks me. I'm a scientist.
- Willie. We are going to DIE!
- [with shoe on fire] Water! Water! Water! Wa... Oh. [sees a flood coming towards him] WATER!
- Mola Ram. Prepare to meet Kali... in Hell!
- [surrounded by guards] Oh, shit.
- He put two holes in my dress from Paris!
- I hope you choke!
- We're not sinking, we're crashing!
- I hate the water, and I hate being wet, and I hate YOU!
- Doctor Jones, I'd feel safer sleeping with a snake.
- [Shouting] Indiana Jones, this is one night you'll never forget! This is the night I slipped right through your fingers! Sleep tight, and pleasant dreams! I could've been your greatest adventure.
- I'm not going to have anything nice to say about this place when I get back!
- Wow! Holy smokes! Crash landing!
- He no nuts, he's crazy!
- [To Willie] You call him Doctor Jones, doll!
- [To Willie] Hang on lady, we go for a ride!
- You listen to me more, you live longer!
- Indy, I love you! Wake up, Indy! Wake up!
- What is Sankara?
- They crash the plane to make you come here?
- Three aces! I win!
- You make me poor! No fun! Playing with you no fun!
- Cover your heart!
- Diamonds? Diamonds!
- What's that? Sounds like step on fortune cookie.
- I step where you step! I touch nothing!
- You call him Doctor Jones doll!
- No more parachutes!
- Very funny!
- All wet!
- Indy, take the left tunnel! (Indy takes the right) No, Indy! The left tunnel! The left! Indy!
- Willie Scott: Aren't you going to introduce us?
- Lao Che: This is Willie Scott. This is Indiana Jones, famous archeologist.
- Willie Scott: Well, I always thought archeologists were always funny little men searching for their mommies.
- Indiana Jones: Mummies.
- Indiana Jones: Short Round, step on it!
- Short Round: Okey Dokey Doctor Jones! Hold on to your potato!
- [Indy reaches down Willie's cleavage for the antidote bottle]
- Willie Scott: Oh, I'm not that kind of girl.
- Short Round: Hey, Doctor Jones, no time for love! We got company!
- Willie Scott: [sees Indy in his traditional outfit] So what are you supposed to be, a lion tamer?
- Indiana Jones: I'm allowing you to tag along so why don't you at least give your mouth a rest, okay?
- Willie Scott: What do you mean, tag along? Ever since you came into my club you haven't been able to take your eyes off me!
- Indiana Jones: Oh yeah? [places his fedora over his eyes and falls asleep]
- [Willie finds no pilots flying their plane]
- Willie Scott: Oh my God! Oh my God! [to a sleeping Indy] Oh, Mister! Mister, please wake up!
- Short Round: You call him Doctor Jones, doll!
- Willie Scott: Okay, Doctor Jones, please wake up!
- Indiana Jones: [wakes] What is it? Are we there already? Good.
- Willie Scott: No!
- Indiana Jones: What then?
- Willie Scott: [shows Indy the empty cockpit] Nobody's flying the plane!
- Indiana Jones: Oh boy.
- Willie Scott: They're gone! [Indy jumps into the pilot's seat] You know how to fly don't you?
- Indiana Jones: No, do you?
- Willie Scott: Oh God!
- Indiana Jones: How hard could it be?
- Short Round: What is Shankara?
- Indiana Jones: Fortune and glory, kid. Fortune and glory.
- Willie Scott: [riding backwards on an elephant] I can't go to Deli like this!
- Indiana Jones: We're not going to Deli. We're going to Pankkot Palace.
- Willie Scott: Pankkot?! I can’t go to Pankkot! I’m a singer!
- Willie Scott: Oh, what big birds!
- Indiana Jones: Those aren't big birds, sweetheart! They're giant vampire bats!
- Willie Scott: [whispering] Bats? Wow...
- [Indy and Shorty are playing poker; Willie is screaming and running away from the animals]
- Indiana Jones: The only problem with her is the noise.
- Short Round: Hey! You cheat, Doctor Jones! You cheat! You took four cards!
- [Willie is scared by an iguana]
- Indiana Jones: It's a mistake. It was a MISTAKE!
- Short Round: I am very little, you cheat very big!
- [Willie is scared by an owl; Indy finds an ace card hidden in Shorty's sleeve]
- Indiana Jones: What is this? What is THIS? And you accuse me of cheating?!
- [The two argue in Chinese]
- Short Round: You make me poor! No fun! Playing with you no fun!
- Indiana Jones: All right, fine. I quit.
- Short Round: All right, fine!
- Willie Scott: That's the maharaja? A KID?
- Short Round: Maybe he likes OLDER women.
- [a plate full of beetles is passed around the table]
- Large Guest: Why, you are not eating?
- Willie Scott: I had bugs for lunch. [holds her hand out to Shorty] Give me your hat.
- Short Round: Why?
- Willie Scott: Because I'm gonna puke in it!
- [Indy and Shorty are trapped in a death room as the ceiling slowy descends]
- Indiana Jones: Willie! Willie, we're in trouble!
- Willie: [outside hallway] Trouble? What sort of... [sees two corpes on the wall and then screams]
- [Spikes begin to come from the ceiling]
- Indiana Jones: THIS IS SERIOUS!!!
- Willie Scott: There are two dead people down here!
- Indiana Jones: There are gonna be two dead people in here! Hurry!
- Willie Scott: I've almost had enough of you two!
- Indiana Jones: WILLIE!
- Willie Scott: What's the rush?
- Indiana Jones: It's a long story, Willie, hurry or you don't get to hear it!
- Willie Scott: [Unknowingly enters the bug room] Ooh, God. What is this? Indy, what is this? I can't see a thing.
- Indiana Jones: Hurry!
- Willie Scott [Lights a lantern] All right! Oh, I broke a nail. [Turns her hand over to see the ugly bug on it]
- [After Willie realizes she is in a room filled with an uncountable amount of bugs]
- Short Round: Hurry, Willie!
- Willie Scott: They're in my hair!
- Indiana Jones: [Places a skull in the gear mechanism] Aw, shut up, Willie!
- Willie Scott: Indy, Let me in!
- Short Round: No, Let us out!
- Willie Scott: Let me in!
- Short Round: Let us out!
- Indiana Jones: SHUT UP!
- Willie Scott: I'm down here! They're all over me! Let me in!
- Indiana Jones: There's got to be a fulcrum release lever somewhere!
- Willie Scott: A what?!
- Indiana Jones: A handle that opens the door!
- Willie Scott: [holding a candle to the holes] They're two, just square holes!
- Indiana Jones: Go to the right hole!
- Short Round: Hurry Willie!
- [Willie almost puts her hand into the hole on her left when Indy's hand comes out and grabs hers]
- Indiana Jones: The other one. The other right. YOUR OTHER RIGHT.
- Willie Scott: There's slime inside! I can't do it.
- Indiana Jones: You can do it. Feel inside.
- [Willie illuminates the hole and sees hundreds of bugs]
- Willie Scott: YOU FEEL INSIDE!
- Indiana Jones: [sticks his fist through the hole] DO IT NOW!!!
- Willie Scott: OKAY!!!
- [Willie slowly begins to push her hand through the hole]
- Indiana Jones: Willie. We are GOING to DIE!!!
- Willie Scott: You're could get killed chasing after your damn fortune and glory!
- Indiana Jones: Maybe. But not today.
- Willie Scott: Indy. Now let's get out of here.
- Indiana Jones: Right. ALL OF US.
- Indiana Jones: Let them go, Mola Ram!
- Mola Ram: You are in a position unsuitable to give orders!
- Indiana Jones: [threatening to drop the Sankara stones off of a high rope bridge] You want the stones, let them go!
- Mola Ram: [laughs] Drop them Doctor Jones! They will be found! YOU WON'T!
- Short Round: Hold on lady. We going for a ride.
- Willie Scott: [sees Indy raising his sword] OH MY GOD. Oh my God, oh my God, oh my God. Is he nuts?!
- Short Round: He no nuts, he's crazy!
- Indiana Jones: Mola Ram. Prepare to meet Khali... in HELL!
- Willie Scott: You could've kept it.
- Indiana Jones: They'd just put it in the museum, it'd be another rock collecting dust.
- Willie Scott: But then it would have given you your fortune and glory.
- Indiana Jones: Anything can happen. It's a long way to Delhi.
- Willie Scott: No, thank you. No more adventures with you, Doctor Jones.
- Indiana Jones: Sweetheart, after all the fun we've had together?
- Willie Scott: If you think I'm going to Delhi with you, or anyplace else after all the trouble you've gotten me into, think again, buster! I'm going home to Missouri where they never feed you snakes before ripping your heart out and lowering you into hot pits! This is NOT my idea of a swell time! [to native] Excuse me sir? I need a guide to Delhi. If you could--
- [Indy snaps his whip around Willie's waist and pulls her back; the two are about to kiss until Shorty's elephant blasts them both with water]
- Short Round: Very funny! Very funny!
- Archeology is the search for facts, not truth. If it's truth you're looking for, Dr. Tyree's philosophy class is right down the hall.
- Nazis. I hate these guys.
- [To passengers, after tossing Colonel Vogel out of the zeppelin] No ticket!
- [after making a German plane crash by frightening seagulls into the sky] I suddenly remembered my Charlemagne: "Let my armies be the rocks and the trees — and the birds in the sky."
- [first lines] Russians.
- [After he slams into a pursuing truck while pursuing Irina Spalko.] Damn, I thought that was closer!
- Oh, that can't be good. That can't be good at all!
- [to the Russians searching for him as they leave him at a nuclear test site] Sure, great! Don't wait for me!
- I think you just brought a knife to a gunfight.
- If you want to be a good archeologist, you gotta get out of the library!
- Come on, genius.
- [to a mad Harold Oxley who is speaking apparent gibberish] We went to the University of Chicago together, and you were never this interesting. My name is Ind... My name is Henry Jones, Jr.
- This is intolerable.
- I have a bad feeling about this. (reference from Star Wars)
- Leave it to Ox to write a riddle in a dead language.
- [on his motorcycle, to Indiana] Get on, gramps.
- [to Indiana] For an old man, you're not bad in a fight. What're you like — eighty?
- Hold up! [combs hair] Okay, I'm ready.
- [Right after what is said above] Don't give these pigs anything.
- Don't call me son! [reference to Indy telling his own father not to call him "Junior"]
- What are you looking at, Daddy-o! She's getting away!
- [To Mutt while they are dueling] You fight like a young man; eager to begin, quick to finish!
- And what I don't know, I find out.
- We will turn you into us, Dr. Jones.
- Dosvidanya, Dr. Jones.
- And where is it you would imagine I am from, Dr. Jones?
- I want to know.
- Mac: JONESY!
- Mac: [The driver of the car he is in is playing Chicken with Indy]Don't get clever, Boris. Stop the car! Stop! You don't know him! You don't know him!
- Marion Ravenwood-Williams: Get your hands off of me! Indiana Jones. About time you showed up!
- Jocks: Get that greaser!
- Howard Oxley: [Repeated Line] Henry Jones, Junior!
- Howard Oxley: How much of human life is lost in waiting.
Maintaining and creating:
- the main Indiana Jones franchise article.
- Making all 4 films Good articles.
- All notable Indiana Jones characters with their own articles.
- To a lesser extent, all Indiana Jones actors' and actresses' articles.
- At least one Indiana Jones-related featured article.
Flagging the talk pages with this banner.