- 660 BC - Traditional date for the foundation of Japan by Emperor Jimmu.
- 1869 - Japan's first lighthouse is erected at Kannonsaki on the Miura peninsula. (Traditional Japanese Date: First Day of the First Month, 1869)
- 1889 - Meiji constitution is adopted.
- 1889 - The first Diet of Japan convenes.
- 1913 - The first tombow pencils go on sale.
- 1970 - The Tokyo University Space and Astronautical Research Center launches Japan's first (the world's fourth) man made satellite "Ōsumi."
- 1981 - Ichikawa Fusae, the chair of the League of Women Voters of Japan and champion of women's rights, dies.
- 1900 - Jōsei Toda (d. 1958), educator and activist
- 1947 - Yukio Hatoyama, engineer and politician, 60th Prime Minister of Japan
- 1947 - Kikko Matsuoka, actress
- 1948 - Yoshihito, Prince Katsura (d. 2014)
- 1960 - Momus, Scottish-Japanese author, journalist, and songwriter
- 1963 - Dan Osman (d. 1998), Japanese-American rock climber
- 1972 - Noboru Yamaguchi (d. 2013), South Korean-Japanese author
- 1997 - Yuumi Shida, model and actress
Holidays, observances, and anniversaries