Portal:Linguistics/Did you know
Jump to navigation Jump to search
From Wikipedia's "Did You Know" archives:
- ... that the world's largest mathematical experiment, designed by Brian Butterworth, found women to be faster than men at subitizing?
- ... that Khmer numerals were the first material evidence of the figure zero as a numerical figure?
- ... that in the English plural, the letter -s is pronounced differently in words like "cats", "cabs", and "buses", because of a phonological rule?
- ...that the 2005 movie The Interpreter by film director Sydney Pollack was based on real-life conference interpreters from the United Nations Interpretation Service?
- ... that Samuel Taylor Coleridge spelled William Shakespeare's last name as "Shakspere"?