Portal:Military of the United States/Selected anniversaries/January 17
- 1781 - American Revolutionary War: Battle of Cowpens - Continental troops under Brigadier General Daniel Morgan defeat British forces under Lieutenant Colonel Banastre Tarleton at the battle in South Carolina.
- 1873 - First Battle of the Stronghold in the US Modoc War.
- 1966 - A B-52 bomber collides with a KC-135 Stratotanker over Palomares, Spain, dropping three 70-kiloton nuclear bombs near the town and another one into the sea.
- 1966 - Carl Brashear, the first African American United States Navy diver, during the h-bomb recovery suffers an accident on deck which crushes his leg, which is later amputated.
- 1991 - Gulf War: Operation Desert Storm began early in the morning. Iraq fires 8 Scud missiles into Israel in an unsuccessful bid to provoke Israeli retaliation.