Nickelodeon (often shortened to Nick) is an American basic cable and satellite television network launched on December 1, 1977 as the first cable channel for children. It is owned by Viacom through its Viacom Media Networks division's Nickelodeon Group unit and is based in New York City. The channel is primarily aimed at children and adolescents aged 2–17.
The channel was originally founded as Pinwheel on December 1, 1977. Pinwheel was at the time only available on QUBE, which was the first two-way major market interactive cable television system, owned by Warner Cable. Pinwheel relaunched as Nickelodeon on April 1, 1979, and expanded to other cable providers nationwide. The channel was initially commercial-free and remained without advertising until 1984. Warner sold Nickelodeon, along with its sister networks MTV and VH1, to Viacom in 1986.
The Penguins of Madagascar is an American CGI animated television series airing on Nickelodeon. It stars nine characters from the DreamWorks Animation animated film Madagascar: The penguins Skipper (Tom McGrath), Kowalski (Jeff Bennett), Private (James Patrick Stuart), and Rico (John DiMaggio); the lemurs King Julien (Danny Jacobs), Maurice (Kevin Michael Richardson), and Mort (Andy Richter); and Mason (Conrad Vernon) and Phil the chimpanzees. Characters new to the series include Marlene the otter (Nicole Sullivan) and a zookeeper named Alice (Mary Scheer). A pilot episode, "Gone in a Flash", aired as part of "Superstuffed Nicktoons Weekend" on November 29, 2008 before a new episode of SpongeBob SquarePants, and The Penguins of Madagascar became a regular series on March 28, 2009. The series takes place after the events of Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa (with elements from the Penguins' Christmas Caper intact; noticeably, Rico's scar and mohawk). This is the first Nicktoon produced with DreamWorks Animation. The series premiere drew 6.1 million viewers, setting a new record as the most-watched premiere. The show finished 2010 as the number two animated program on television among kids age 2-11 and in basic cable total viewers, with only SpongeBob SquarePants ahead in the ratings.
- November 23, 2012: iCarly concludes after seven seasons, with the final episode attracted 6.4 million viewers. Zap2it
Did you know...
In this month
- July 1, 1985 - Nick at Nite, a nighttime program block with an emphasis on classic television reruns, launches in the United States (logo pictured), broadcasting over the channel space of Nickelodeon. At the same time, A&E, which previously shared channel space with Nickelodeon, began broadcasting as its own 24-hour cable channel on a separate satellite transponder.
- July 1, 2010 - The Last Airbender was released.
- July 20, 2002 - The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius, a computer animated television series, debuts on Nickelodeon.
- July 25, 2011 - The '90s Are All That, a midnight block dedicated to Nickelodeon shows from the 1990s, premieres on TeenNick
Things you can do