Nintendo's current logo, in use since 2016
Nintendo Co., Ltd. is a Japanese multinational consumer electronics and video game company headquartered in Kyoto. Nintendo is one of the world's largest video game companies by market capitalization, creating some of the best-known and top-selling video game franchises, such as Mario, The Legend of Zelda, and Pokémon.
Founded on 23 September 1889 by Fusajiro Yamauchi, it originally produced handmade hanafuda playing cards. By 1963, the company had tried several small niche businesses, such as cab services and love hotels. Abandoning previous ventures in favor of toys in the 1960s, Nintendo developed into a video game company in the 1970s, ultimately becoming one of the most influential in the industry and Japan's third most-valuable company with a market value of over $85 billion. From 1992 until 2016, Nintendo was also the majority shareholder for the Seattle Mariners of Major League Baseball.
Did you know...
- Now you're playing with power!—Original Nintendo slogan for the Nintendo Entertainment System.
- Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock and roll.—Shigeru Miyamoto.
- Thank you, Mario! But our princess is in another castle!—Toad, from Super Mario Bros.
- My name is Reggie. I'm about kickin' ass, I'm about takin' names, and we're about makin' games—Reggie Fils-Aime, introducing himself at E3 2004.
- My body is ready—Reggie Fils-Aime said before stepping onto the Wii Balance Board.
- It's-a me, Mario!—Mario during the startup of Super Mario 64
- I like shorts! They're comfy and easy to wear!—Youngster from Pokémon Red and Blue
- Games should be something everybody wants to play.—Shigeru Miyamoto.
- Thank you so much for to playing my game!—Mario at the end of Super Mario 64, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Super Mario Odyssey.
- STOP RESETTIN'! You hear me?!—Resetti in Animal Crossing
- Hey, listen!—Navi in The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
- Welcome; welcome new galaxy!—Mario at the end of Super Mario Galaxy
- You say you want a Revolution?—Satoru Iwata at the Nintendo E3 2005 Conference, his announcement of their new console at the time, the Wii
- Who are you?—Nintendo Game Boy Advance slogan
- How U will play next!—Wii U slogan
- Now you're playing with power; SUPER POWER!—Super Nintendo Entertainment System slogan
- Now you are playing with power; PORTABLE POWER!—Nintendo Game Boy slogan
- Get the power! NINTENDO POWER!—Nintendo Power slogan
- There's a time and place for everything! But not now.—Professor Oak
- It's dangerous to go alone! Take this.—Old Man to Link in The Legend of Zelda
- Man what a bunch of jokers!—Reyn in Xenoblade Chronicles
- Touching is good-Nintendo DS slogan