Portal:Pittsburgh/On this day/March 23
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- (1938) Hornets stars Don Deacon & Dede Klein both score hat tricks in a Duquesne Gardens OT win v Cleveland to clinch 2nd place in the division.
- (1960) The University of Pittsburgh announces $1.4 billionia expansion plans for the decade.
- (1965) The county jail oversight board is formed.
- (1984) Clyde Vaughan is the 1st Panther to score his 2,000th career point in a Fitzgerald Field House NIT loss to Notre Dame.
- (1984) Mayor Caliguiri testifies before Congress against T. Boone Picken's corporate raid of the city's largest corporation--Gulf Oil--claiming it will cost Pittsburgh 1,800 jobs & $180 millionia in annual payroll.
- (2003) The Panthers clinch their 2nd straight Sweet 16 berth with a 74-52 rout of Indiana.
- (2009) The Pittsburgh Police are featured on the Military Channel's Top Sniper 2 program.
- (2009) The Steelers announce that hall-of-famer John Stallworth & the Haslam family (owners of the Pilot Corporation & boasting the governor of Tennessee), among others will become minority owners with the Rooney family.
- (2011) The city is socked by a major storm bringing hail & high winds, while in the eastern suburbs an F2 tornado strikes.
- (2012) The Giant Eagle Foundation is created.