Portal:R&B and Soul Music
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Palmer, Robert (1981-05-21). Deep Blues: A Musical and Cultural History of the Mississippi Delta. Viking Adult. ISBN 978-0670495115.
- The United States Social Security Death Index shows a birth date of 3 May 1933 for James Brown, Social Security number 259-32-3801 (Social Security number issued in the State of Georgia, United States), Last Residence: ZIP Code 29842, Beech Island, Aiken (County), South Carolina. Individual record of James Brown. (2007, August 1). United States Social Security Death Index at FamilySearch.org. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Retrieved August 24, 2007.
- Although public records, such as arrest records and FBI files released under the U.S. Freedom of Information Act and the United States Social Security Death Index, in addition to obituaries published by news organizations and by Brown's family, show 1932 as Brown's year of birth, other sources both inside and outside the United States cite 1928 as Brown's year of birth. Sullivan, J. (2000, May 12). James Brown still can't act his age. The San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved June 10, 2007. See also James Brown biography. (2007). Rolling Stone Magazine. Retrieved June 10, 2007. No primary source for a birth in 1928 can be found, so it appears that the 1928 date is most likely an error. Brown himself claimed 1933 as his birth year on several occasions.
- Brown's legendary status went beyond his music. (2007, January 9). The Kansas City Star. Retrieved January 9, 2007.
- Pareles, J. (2006, December 26). James Brown, the "Godfather of Soul" dies at 73. The New York Times. Retrieved January 31, 2007.
- Chuck Brown. (2000). Washington Area Music Association. Retrieved January 28, 2007.