The Lagomorpha portal
The lagomorphs are the members of the taxonomic order Lagomorpha, of which there are two living families: the Leporidae (hares and rabbits) and the Ochotonidae (pikas). The name of the order is derived from the Ancient Greek lagos (λαγώς, "hare") + morphē (μορφή, "form"). There are 102 extant species of lagomorph, including 37 species of pika, 33 species of rabbit and cottontail, and 32 species of hare. (Full article...)
The Angora rabbit
: Ankara tavşanı
) is a variety of domestic rabbit
bred for its long, soft wool. The Angora is one of the oldest types of domestic rabbit, originating in Ankara
, along with the Angora cat
and Angora goat
. The rabbits were popular pets with French
royalty in the mid 18th century, and spread to other parts of Europe
by the end of the century. They first appeared in the United States
in the early 20th century. They are bred largely for their long Angora wool
, which may be removed by shearing
, combing, or plucking
. There are many individual breeds of Angora rabbits, four of which are ARBA
||So, did I work with Warhol? I worked with him less on that play than I did on other things. He actually did a portrait of my rabbit and some other stuff. Warhol was definitely… Warhol.
||— Harvey Fierstein|
Select [►] to view subcategories
Fleuron from the book "The principles of drawing" (1752)
from the book The principles of drawing
(1752). Fleurons are typographic ornaments that were frequently used in 18th- and 19th-century books.
Rabbits will sometimes try to chew on wood furniture.
Did you know
For editor resources and to collaborate with other editors on improving Wikipedia's Lagomorpha-related articles, see WikiProject Mammals.
Things you can do
Here are some tasks awaiting attention:
- Article requests : Belgian Silver, British Giant, Palomino, Sussex, Thüringer
- Cleanup : Holland Lop, Angora rabbit
- Expand : House Rabbit Society, British Rabbit Council
- Infobox : Template:Infobox rabbit breed
- Photo : Additional pictures of different breeds, either photos taken by yourself or from Flickr
- Stubs : Czech Red Rabbit, Blue of Sint-Niklaas, Havana (rabbit), Alaska rabbit. More…
- Verify : Netherland Dwarf , Rabbit show jumping