The San Francisco Bay Area Portal
The San Francisco Bay Area (referred to locally as the Bay Area) is a populous region surrounding the San Francisco and San Pablo estuaries in Northern California. The region encompasses the major cities and metropolitan areas of San Jose, San Francisco, and Oakland, along with smaller urban and rural areas. The Bay Area's nine counties are Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, Napa, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Solano, and Sonoma. Home to approximately 7.68 million people, the nine-county Bay Area contains many cities, towns, airports, and associated regional, state, and national parks, connected by a network of roads, highways, railroads, bridges, tunnels, and commuter rail. The combined statistical area of the region is the second-largest in California (after the Greater Los Angeles area), the fifth-largest in the United States, and the 43rd-largest urban area in the world with 8.80 million people.
The Bay Area has the second-most Fortune 500
companies in the United States, after the New York metropolitan area
, and is known for its natural beauty, liberal
politics, entrepreneurship, and diversity
. The area ranks second in highest density of college graduates, after the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area
and performs above the state median household income in the 2010 census; it includes the five highest California counties by per capita income
and two of the top 25 wealthiest counties in the United States
. Based on a 2013 population report from the California Department of Finance
, the Bay Area is the only region in California where the rate of people migrating in from other areas in the United States is greater than the rate of those leaving the region, led by Alameda and Contra Costa counties. (more...)
(1825-1909) was an American sea captain
, shipbuilder and designer. He went into business with his brother and John Eckley, forming the Matthew Turner Shipyard at Benicia
in 1883. He constructed 228 vessels, of which 154 were built in the Matthew Turner shipyard. He built more sailing vessels than any other single shipbuilder in America, and can be considered "the 'grandaddy' of big time wooden shipbuilding
on the Pacific Coast." (more...)
is a city
in Santa Clara County, California
. It is located with San Jose
to its south and Fremont
to its north, at the eastern end of State Route 237
and generally between Interstates 680
which run roughly north/south through the city. With Alameda County
bordering directly on the north, Milpitas sits in the extreme northeast section of the South Bay
, bordering the East Bay
. Milpitas is also located within the Silicon Valley
. The corporate headquarters of Maxtor
, LSI Corporation
, Cisco Systems
, and SanDisk
sit within the industrial zones of Milpitas. The population was 66,790 at the 2010 census. (more...)
The Bay Area by year
Selected historical image
Grant Avenue at Market Street (and O'Farrell, which is the one that turns left in the foreground), San Francisco. The building on the right is now Wells Fargo. The temple on the left is now an Emporio Armani store. (1915)
Did you know...
• ... that filmmaker Emiko Omori (pictured, left, with Victor Wong) began her career in 1968 at KQED, becoming one of the first camerawomen to work in news documentaries?
• ... that Fisher Creek is tributary to the largest freshwater wetland in Santa Clara County, Laguna Seca, a seasonal lake important to groundwater recharge and migratory birds?
• ... that San Francisco based architect Jack Hillmer is known for his meticulously hand-crafted Modernist homes built from redwood, and was an exponent of what Lewis Mumford called the "Bay Region style"?
• ... that Stanford University Department of Biology chairman Tim Stearns (pictured), together with his wife, medical researcher Susan Cleveland, tend a fruit tree orchard at their home in Redwood City?
• ... that the Occidental and Oriental Steamship Company's flagship, the Oceanic (pictured), set a Pacific crossing record of 16 days and 10 hours, 8 days less than the ships of the Pacific Mail Steamship Company?
• ... that the building consumed in the 2016 Oakland warehouse fire had at least ten complaints filed on it since 1998? (interior damage pictured)
• ... that after Agnes Fay Morgan conducted a nutritional study with foxes, she presented her data wearing a stole made from the fur of her subjects?
Previous Did you know...
Selected periodic event
The traditional Fleet Week celebrations in San Francisco were expanded in 1981, and held in conjunction with Columbus Day Weekend celebrations during the second week of October. The event is estimated to attract over one million people, drawn to the air show along the waterfront, including the Blue Angels (pictured), the United States Navy's flight demonstration squadron.
Lua error: too many expensive function calls.
Bay Area regions, geographic features and protected areas
Things you can do
Lua error: too many expensive function calls.
San Francisco Bay Area categories