was a name coined by "Emperor of Mexico" Maximilian I
in an effort to gain legitimacy, since his patron, Napoleon III
, spoke French
, a Latinate tongue like Spanish and Portuguese. Maximilian did not last, but the coinage of "Latin America" is one of the most successful of all time. Latin America is traditionally defined as the regions
of the Americas
, the language of Spain
, and Portuguese
, the language of Portugal
, were spoken -- in other words, every part of the Western Hemisphere
, with the exception of Suriname and a few small islands that speak Dutch
, that was not Anglo America
. (English is a Germanic language
.) Therefore, virtually all of the Western Hemisphere
except the United States
, Canada, and the non-Hispanophone
countries of the Caribbean
and South America
have tended to come under the heading of Latin America. Other areas where languages derived from Latin
, such as Papiamento
, predominate are sometimes included and sometimes excluded from Latin America, depending on the speaker.
Selena Quintanilla-Pérez (April 16, 1971 – March 31, 1995), known simply as Selena, was a Mexican American singer-songwriter. She was named the "top Latin artist of the '90s" and "Best selling Latin artist of the decade" by Billboard, for her fourteen top-ten singles in the Top Latin Songs chart, including seven number-one hits. The singer also had the most successful singles of 1994 and 1995, "Amor Prohibido" and "No Me Queda Más". She was called "The Queen of Tejano music" and the Mexican equivalent of Madonna. Selena released her first album, Selena y Los Dinos, at the age of twelve. She won Female Vocalist of the Year at the 1987 Tejano Music Awards and landed a recording contract with EMI a few years later. Her fame grew throughout the early 1990s, especially in Spanish-speaking countries. Selena was murdered at the age of 23 by Yolanda Saldívar, the president of her fan club. On April 12, 1995, two weeks after her death, George W. Bush, governor of Texas at the time, declared her birthday "Selena Day" in Texas. Warner Bros. produced Selena, a film based on her life starring Jennifer Lopez, in 1997. Selena's life was also the basis of the musical Selena Forever starring Veronica Vazquez as Selena. In June 2006, Selena was commemorated with a museum and a bronze life-sized statue (Mirador de la Flor in Corpus Christi, Texas), which are visited by hundreds of fans each week. She has sold over 21 million albums worldwide.
Subportals for geopolitical entities
- October 2, Colombia: A referendum rejected the peace deals with the FARC (pictured), by 50.2% to 49.8%.BBC
- August 25, Colombia: The Colombian conflict comes to an end with a peace deal between the government of Colombia and the FARC (pictured).The Guardian
- August 5, Brazil: The 2016 Summer Olympics open in Rio de Janeiro.
- June 7, Peru: Pedro Pablo Kuczynski narrowly defeats Keiko Fujimori in the presidential elections.The Guardian
- May 31, Organization of American States: Luis Almagro, head of the Organization of American States, request an evaluation of democracy in venezuela, which may cause their suspension from the body.The Guardian
- May 31, Brazil: Fabiano Silveira, minister of acting president Michel Temer, resigns after scandal of leaked tapes.The Guardian
Alpamayo, one of the most conspicuous peaks in the Cordillera Blanca mountain range of the Peruvian Andes. It is a steep, almost perfect pyramid of ice, one of a number of peaks that compose the northernmost massif of the Cordillera Blanca..