|Category:Rail transport timelines
- 1892 – Canadian Pacific Railway opens the line between Payne and Eganville, Ontario; the first trains on the line are excursions from Renfrew.
- 1906 – A train wreck at Terra Cotta near present day Fort Totten in Washington, D.C., kills 52; the accident leads to the Interstate Commerce Commission banning future wooden body passenger car construction.
- 1927 – The Ginza Line, the oldest subway line in Asia, opens in Tokyo, Japan.
- 1986 – The Trans-Gabon Railway is completed.
- 1991 – The Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine issues a decree on to build the new underground metro system in Donetsk.
- 1996 –
- Dallas Area Rapid Transit opens the first line of Trinity Railway Express between Dallas and Irving, Texas.
- A bomb explodes a train travelling in Lower Assam in Eastern India, totally destroying three carriages of the train and derailing six more, killing at least 33 people. See: Brahmaputra Mail train bombing.
- 2015 – Construction begins on the Ningbo–Fenghua Intercity Railway in China.
- "Significant dates in Ottawa railway history". Colin Churcher's Railway Pages. December 12, 2005. Retrieved December 27, 2005.
- Trinity Railway Express. "Significant dates in Trinity Railway Express history". Retrieved December 27, 2005.
- DART. "DART history". Retrieved December 27, 2005.
- "Landslide closes rail branchline". BBC. 3 January 2007. Retrieved 23 May 2007.
- "宁波-奉化城际铁路开工 对接轨道交通3号线" [Ningbo–Fenghua Intercity Railway begins construction and is scheduled to open in June 2019] (in Chinese). CNNB. December 30, 2015. Retrieved January 1, 2016.