|Category:Rail transport timelines
- 1835 – Boston and Maine Railroad is chartered in New Hampshire.
- 1895 – The Lynton and Barnstaple Railway in England is chartered by an act of Parliament.
- 1988 – A runaway train hits a stationary rush-hour train at Gare de Lyon in France, killing 59 people and injuring more than 50 others.
- 1835 – Fred Harvey, American entrepreneur who developed the Harvey House chain of restaurants in conjunction with the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway, is born (d. 1901).
- 1840 – Alpheus Beede Stickney, first president of Chicago Great Western Railway 1884-1909, is born (d. 1916).
- 1878 – Sidney Breese, U.S. senator from Illinois known as the "father of the Illinois Central Railroad," dies (d. 1800).
- "Alpheus Beede Stickney". Retrieved February 8, 2006.