- 1821 – Collis P. Huntington, a member of The Big Four group of financiers in California, is born (d. 1900).
- 1844 – Albert Alonzo Robinson (pictured), vice president and general manager of Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway, is born (d. 1918).
- 1903 – Howard Elliott succeeds Charles Sanger Mellen as president of Northern Pacific Railway.
- 2004 – The first railroad conductors graduate from British Columbia Institute of Technology's 32-week course.
- Ambrose, Stephen E. (2000). Nothing Like It in the World: The Men Who Built the Transcontinental Railroad. Touchstone. pp. 47–48. ISBN 0-7432-0317-8. A footnote in the text cites the data to "Collis Huntington Memoir, Bancroft Library, U.C. Berkeley."
- Railway Age Gazette: 177–8. August 1, 1913. Missing or empty