- September 12
- 1892 – Western Maryland Railroad's line from Hagerstown, Maryland, over the C&O Canal and the Potomac River to Cherry Run, West Virginia, opens.
- 1899 – Cornelius Vanderbilt II (pictured), president of the New York Central system, dies (b. 1843).
- 1911 – John Souther, founder of Globe Locomotive Works, dies (b. 1816).
- 1978 – The longest tunnel in New Zealand, through the Kaimai Ranges, opens to traffic.
- ^ Hicks, W. Raymond (April 1970). "The Cumberland Extension - Western Maryland Railroad Company". Railway and Locomotive Historical Society Bulletin (122): p 26.