- 1971 - Typhoon Wanda (pictured) reached its peak intensity just off the Vietnamese coast with 140 km/h (85 mph) winds. The storm killed 56 people and caused $700,000 of damage.
- 2015 - Cyclone Quang, as a rapidly weakening cyclone, makes landfall over in Exmouth, Western Australia with only minimal damage and no known casualties.
- May 2, 1994 - Cyclone BOB 01 (pictured) made landfall near the Burma–Bangladeshi border. The cyclone caused 285 deaths and over $125 million of damage.
- May 3, 2008 - Cyclone Nargis (pictured) dissipates over Burma after making landfall the previous day and passing near Yangon, inflicting catastrophic destruction and at least 146,000 fatalities.
- 1982 - Cyclone 01B impacted southern Burma where it killed five people.
- 2009 - Typhoon Kujira (pictured) reaches peak strength as a Category 4 after killing 28 people and damaging P1.25 million (US$27 million) over in the Philippines.
- May 5, 1974 - Typhoon Carla (pictured) reached its peak intensity with 150 km/h (90 mph) winds to the east of Iwo Jima. Carla had previously caused heavy damage to crops in the Northern Mariana Islands.
- May 6, 1957 - Typhoon Trix (track pictured) reached its peak intensity with a central pressure of 950 hPa (mbar) to the east of the Philippines.
- 1932 - Tropical Storm One hit Hispaniola as a weak tropical storm. The storm had only minimal effects along its track.
- 2011 - Tropical Storm Aere (pictured) affects the Philippines killing 48 people and Php1.4 billion (US$34 million) in damages.
- 1990 - The 1990 Andhra Pradesh cyclone (pictured) reaches peak intensity with winds of 230 km/h (145 mph) and a pressure of 920 hPa as it made landfall. The cyclone killed a total of 967 people and damaged about US$600 million.
- 2003 - Cyclone Manou reached its peak intensity in the Indian Ocean with a central pressure of 967 hPa (mbar). Manou killed 70 people in Madagascar.
- 2007 - Subtropical Storm Andrea (pictured) becomes a named subtropical system as it killed 6 people indirectly in its life-time.
- 2013 - Cyclone Jamala develops over in the central portion of the Indian Ocean.
- 2017 - Tropical Storm Adrian develops and becomes the earliest named storm in the East Pacific since reliable records began.
- 1972 - Cyclone Hannah impacts Papua New Guinea as a weak cyclone.
- 2002 - The 2002 Oman cyclone made landfall in Oman, bringing up to 250 mm (9.8 in) of rain.
- 2015 - Typhoon Noul (pictured) made landfall over in Santa Ana, Cagayan at Category 5 typhoon intensity.
- May 11, 1965 - The first of two cyclones to impact Bangladesh in 1965 made landfall on the country. These two storms collectively killed 47,000 people.
- May 12, 1991 - Typhoon Walt (pictured) reached its peak intensity to the east of the Philippines with 260 km/h (160 mph) winds. Cyclone Lisa developed in the Southern Hemisphere concurrently with Walt.
- May 13, 2001 - Tropical Storm Cimaron (pictured) reached its peak intensity with 110 km/h (70 mph) winds shortly before it struck the Okinawa Islands, bringing heavy rain.
- 1997 - Cyclone Rhonda reached its peak intensity in the open Indian Ocean with winds of 185 km/h (115 mph).
- 2007 - Cyclone Akash (pictured) damages a total of US$982 million over in Bangladesh and Burma, also killing a total of 14.
- 1982 - Tropical Storm Claudia (pictured) affects the Solomon Islands as a weak cyclone.
- 1996 - Typhoon Bart reaches Category 4 typhoon intensity just northeast of Luzon.
- 2018 - The 2018 East Pacific hurricane season officially begins.
- 1989 - Typhoon Brenda (pictured) passed over the Philippines, causing torrential flooding that killed at least 140 people.
- 2004 - Typhoon Nida reaches peak intensity as an intense typhoon, off the coast of eastern Philippines, causing minor damage.
- 2015 - Typhoon Dolphin reaches peak intensity, impacting the Mariana Islands with $14 million in damages.
- 1951 - Hurricane Able reached hurricane strength over The Bahamas, being one of the earliest hurricanes on record.
- 2006 - Typhoon Chanchu (pictured) makes landfall over in Shantou, China, causing about ¥7 billion (US$870 million) in damage.
- 2013 - Cyclone Viyaru makes landfall over in Bangladesh, killing 100 people.
- 1986 - Cyclone Namu (pictured) badly affects the Solomon Islands with over 100 dead and US$25 million in damages.
- 1990 - Typhoon Marian weakens and rapidly moves northeast as it affects Taiwan with minor damages.
- 1997 - Cyclone BOB 01 makes landfall over in Bangladesh as a powerful Category 4 cyclone, killing more than 1,150 people.
- 2002 - Typhoon Hagibis (pictured) becomes a Category 5 super typhoon, just before rapidly transitioning into an extratropical cyclone.
- 2004 - Cyclone BOB 01 made landfall in Burma, causing heavy flooding. The storm killed a total of 220 people.
- 1986 - Typhoon Lola reaches peak intensity of 220 km/h (140 mph) 10-minute sustained.
- 1989 - Typhoon Brenda makes landfall over Southern China as a Category 1 typhoon, killing about 84 people.
- 2005 - Hurricane Adrian (pictured) dissipated over Honduras. Adrian was the first Pacific hurricane to make landfall in the country in recorded history and killed at least 4 people.
- 1976 - Typhoon Pamela passed over Guam with winds of 220 km/h (140 mph) and caused over $500 million of damage to the island.
- 2010 - Cyclone Laila (pictured) dissipates after causing destruction over the Andhra Pradesh region of India.
- May 22, 1996 - Tropical Storm Cam (pictured) reached its peak intensity with 110 km/h (70 mph) while moving to the east through the Luzon Strait between the Philippines and Taiwan.
- 1976 - Subtropical Storm One struck the Florida Panhandle, bringing heavy rainfall to the southeastern United States but only minimal damage.
- 2003 - Typhoon Chan-hom (pictured) reaches its maximum intensity as a Category 4 typhoon with a pressure of 940 mbar (27.76 inHg).
- May 24, 1989 - Tropical Storm Cecil (pictured) made landfall in central Vietnam where it killed 52 people and left over 100,000 others homeless.
- May 25, 1985 - Tropical Storm One (pictured) made landfall in Bangladesh and killed around 6,000 people.
- May 26, 1953 - Tropical Storm Alice (track pictured) made landfall in Nicaragua as a minimal tropical storm.
- May 27, 2003 - Tropical Storm Linfa (pictured) made landfall on the island of Luzon in the Philippines. Linfa killed 41 people in total.
- May 28, 1960 - Tropical Storm Lucille (track pictured) and a non-tropical low merged just off Luzon in the Philippines. The non-tropical disturbance killed nearly 300 people in the Manila area.
- May 29, 1958 - Typhoon Phyllis reached its peak intensity with 295 km/h (185 mph) winds, becoming the strongest typhoon ever recorded in the month of May.
- May 30, 1959 - Tropical Storm Arlene (track pictured) made landfall in Louisiana as a minimal tropical storm, causing $500,000 worth of damage in the Southeastern United States.