Portal:United States/Anniversaries/April/April 22
- 1864 – The U.S. Congress passes the Coinage Act which mandates that the inscription "In God We Trust" (pictured) be placed on all coins minted as United States currency.
- 1876 – The Boston Red Stockings defeat the Philadelphia Athletics 6-5 in the first National League Baseball game.
- 1889 – At high noon, thousands rush to claim land in the Land Rush of 1889. Within hours the cities of Oklahoma City and Guthrie are formed with populations of at least 10,000.
- 1930 – The United Kingdom, Japan and the United States sign the London Naval Treaty regulating submarine warfare and limiting shipbuilding.
- 1954 – The Army–McCarthy hearings begin. MrCarthy's hunt for communists within the government was a core component of the Red Scare.
- 1970 – First Earth Day celebrated.