Portal:United States Marine Corps/history/May
- On May 29, 1945, 1st Battalion 5th Marines captured Shuri Castle, a pivotal point in the Battle of Okinawa.
- On May 22, 1912, Marine aviation began when Lt Alfred Cunningham reported to Naval Aviation Camp at Annapolis, Maryland to become the first Marine Naval Aviator.
- On May 15, 1975, the 2nd Battalion 9th Marines and 1st Battalion 4th Marines assaulted Koh Tang to rescue the SS Mayagüez in the last action of the Vietnam War.
- On May 15, 1862, Cpl John F. Mackie became the first Marine recipient of the Medal of Honor for his actions at the Battle of Drewry's Bluff.
- On May 14, 1917, Major General Commandant George Barnett establishes Marine Barracks, Quantico.
- On May 2, 1993, Marines from Camp Pendleton helped to quell the Rodney King riots in Los Angeles.
- On May 1, 1941, then LtCol William P. T. Hill begins construction of Camp Lejeune.