Portal talk:New Zealand
|The New Zealand Portal is a featured portal, which means it has been identified as one of the best portals on Wikipedia. If you see a way this portal can be updated or improved without compromising previous work, please feel free to contribute.|
|Archives: 1, 2, 3|
|This page is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
- 1 Useful stuff
- 2 New maintainer needed
- 3 updating
- 4 not seeing stuff
- 5 Kiwipedia
- 6 Youth Parliament
- 7 Zealandia link pointing to wrong article
- 8 Culture - Media
- 9 Captain James Cook
- 10 TVNZ Publicity messing things up for Geoffrey Bell (host)
- 11 Use a bot to collect NZ news?
- 12 Pics
For previous selected articles, pictures and articles which appeared in DYK?, see Portal:New Zealand/Previously_featured.
For featured articles on the current rotation, see Portal:New_Zealand/Selected_article.
This is a working list of articles to be shown as the selected article in future weeks. Anyone may feel free to add new articles, rearrange the list, or comment on the suitability of the articles.
To be eligible, an article must have a picture associated with it, should be more than a stub, and should have no dispute tag associated with it. Naturally, it must be associated with New Zealand. Any article which receives substantial objections to being a "selected article" here will not be used.
Every fourth week, the selected article is about a notable New Zealander, and the week after that displays a New Zealand city. The other two weeks are flexible. This is not set in stone.
The current week is :
Ideas for biographies: New Zealand's Top 100 History Makers
The following articles may be featured once a picture is found for them:
Selected picture suggestions
Please add new suggestions for "Selected picture" to the list. Self-nominations are fine. I prefer not to use panoramas as they don't look good when they're only 300 pixels wide.
I may re-order the list to avoid having similar-themed shots or two by the same photographer immediately following each other.
The current week is Week 30.
- Images from the Picture archive of the German Wikipedia's Portal:Neuseeland may be worth considering for use here.
- Not sure if I've previously nominated my Image:Mokoia Island.jpg... I don't think I have. Grutness...wha? 00:00, 7 April 2007 (UTC)
New "did you know" facts
See Wikipedia:Wikiportal/New Zealand/Did you know list for a list of new facts to be added from time to time to the DYK section. Extra contributions to this list are welcome. The articles on this list, unlike those on the main page DYK section, do not need to be newly created articles.
New maintainer needed
I've been the main maintainer for this portal for about 18 months, but now I'd like to move on to other projects within Wikipedia. Can one or more Wikipedians volunteer to take over the duties? The main tasks involved are:
- Find and writeup selected article and selected picture, which rotate weekly. The queues are stocked to the end of the year; I can give advice on how to find suitable articles and pictures if necessary.
- Find and rotate "did you know" content. I've been pretty slack about this, and presently the stock of DYK items is empty.
- Update the "in the news" section for major stories, or for lesser stories if needed to keep the content fresh. I suggest trying to add at least one story a week. I'll probably keep adding occasional stories even when I'm not the maintainer.
- Look at the "Things you can do" section once in a blue moon and remove any article which has been written; add another request in its place. There's a longer list of missing articles at Wikipedia:WikiProject_New_Zealand#Missing_pages which can be used.
Keeping the portal going in its current format takes me about half an hour a week. There is no reason why a new maintainer can't significantly change the format; they could drop some sections, add others (either static or dynamic sections), change the rate at which queued sections change, or change one of the existing sections to rotate between a fixed number of items rather than a new one each week. Sections can even show pseudo-random content. There are lots of other geographical portals which can provide inspiration. Please reply to this post if you are interested.-gadfium 02:20, 6 December 2006 (UTC)
- Thanks gadfium for your work on the portal, it's one of the better ones on wikipedia now :) I'll be able to help out, maintaining it if needed. Brian | (Talk) 02:30, 6 December 2006 (UTC)
- Good work Gadfium - thanks for the great jub you've done on this. And thanks also to Brian for agreeing to take over. I'll chip in a 2c worth every now and again, but I'm pretty busy on other WP projects so I can't guarantee how much help I'll be. Grutness...wha? 02:40, 6 December 2006 (UTC)
seriously, you need to update the portal. I have listed it for Featured Portal review as it is not updated and has not selected picture. —The preceding unsigned comment was added by 184.108.40.206 (talk) 20:59, 29 January 2007 (UTC).
- Thats better. I reverted you before as you did not follow the process before, you tagged the talkpage, but did not say why Brian | (Talk) 03:34, 30 January 2007 (UTC)
not seeing stuff
Does anyone else get redlinks instead of article-thingys for Portal:New Zealand/Selected picture/Week 9, 2007 and Portal:New Zealand/Selected article/Week 9, 2007 --220.127.116.11 03:13, 1 March 2007 (UTC)
- Sorry about that, I was slightly late this week, however you might want to clear your catch as articles should be showing now Brian | (Talk) 03:55, 1 March 2007 (UTC)
- Unfortunately some servers also cache and mean people don't see changes for a while. I recommend you do the back queue that Gadfium use to do. --18.104.22.168 06:35, 1 March 2007 (UTC)
This just dawned on me this morning. Is it possible to rename this portal Kiwipedia because Kiwi and Wiki have the same letters? PennsylvaniaPatriot 20:47, 28 March 2007 (UTC)
- I don't think there's a rule enforcing portal names, but all portals have obvious names, not clever ones, so I doubt a name change would be acceptable. There is a mirror of Wikipedia called Kiwipedia.-gadfium 22:19, 28 March 2007 (UTC)
Hey i noticed that the NZ youth parliament aint on wikipedia. I think that since youth MPs have just been elected, that somone should make a page.—Preceding unsigned comment added by 22.214.171.124 (talk • contribs)
- You're welcome to create an article, e.g. New Zealand Youth Parliament. You'll have to create an account to be able to create an article. Alternatively, the New Zealand Wikiproject has a list of "missing pages" that you could add this too.-gadfium 09:20, 2 May 2007 (UTC)
- Now fixed - thanks! -- Avenue 05:08, 4 May 2007 (UTC)
Culture - Media
The New Zealand Portal under Culture has headings for Cinema and Music but nothing for Newspapers, Radio & TV – should they have separate headings or be under the heading Media; though Media in NZ could just turn out to be a redirect to Newspapers in NZ, Radio in NZ & TV in NZ? Hugo999 05:06, 10 July 2007 (UTC)
- It does link to Public broadcasting in New Zealand. We have an article on List of newspapers in New Zealand, feel free to add that.-gadfium 08:14, 10 July 2007 (UTC)
Captain James Cook
Can anyone tell me the exact location of Cooks landing place in New Zeland so I can add it to the Category:Landing places of Captain James Cook. Cheers_Ad@m.J.W.C. 06:31, 26 October 2007 (UTC)
- I don't think this category is a good idea. We don't want too many categories on each article; in very few cases is the landing of Cook one of the most important events in a location's history. A list would be a better method of representing the data, should there be value in the exercise at all. To get a list of locations, read any of the biographies of Cook.-gadfium 08:34, 26 October 2007 (UTC)
TVNZ Publicity messing things up for Geoffrey Bell (host)
TVNZ Publicity created a spammy Geoffrey Bell (host) article, filling it with the usual press agent claptrap; so I stubbed it. Could somebody please restore it to a reasonable state without the PR fluff? I don't want to have any kind of anti-Kiwi systemic bias; but at the same time we have to treat publicity people like the spamming sneaks they are. --Orange Mike | Talk 14:05, 11 February 2009 (UTC)
- One editor restored the entire thing; another has now nominated it for deletion. Please kick in at Wikipedia:Articles for deletion/Geoffrey Bell (host). --Orange Mike | Talk 14:08, 11 February 2009 (UTC)
- Notices like this are better placed at the New Zealand Wikipedians' notice board, which has more people watching. However now that the article is on AfD, the deletion sorting project will draw New Zealanders attention to it.-gadfium 19:16, 11 February 2009 (UTC)
Use a bot to collect NZ news?
Note to self: The bot known as User:Wikinews Importer Bot could be an easy way to keep the news section up to date. Anyone object? (Anyone ever read this page?!?) ... Ropata (talk) 12:38, 16 April 2010 (UTC)
In german language WP there is a list of historic places in NZ (except two regions until now)de:Baudenkmale in Neuseeland). I tried to include as many pictures as possible, but some are still without pic. Possibly some of you has pictures of the missing sites to upload at common? Or sombebody knows the coordinates missing in case of farms etc? Take a look... TX Andy king50 (talk) 19:23, 4 January 2013 (UTC)