Porter Heights, Texas
Porter Heights, Texas
Porter Heights with North Houston Airport, looking northeastwards
Location of Porter Heights, Texas
|• Total||3.2 sq mi (8.2 km2)|
|• Land||3.2 sq mi (8.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||125 ft (38 m)|
|• Density||516.6/sq mi (201.6/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central (CST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1867563|
Porter Heights is located at (30.150324, -95.317496).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 3.2 square miles (8.3 km2), of which, 3.2 square miles (8.3 km2) of it is land and 0.32% is water.
As of the 2010 United States Census, there were 1,490 people, 562 households, and 423 families residing in the CDP. The racial makeup of the CDP was 85.7% White, 0.7% African American, 2.2% Native American, 0.3% Asian, 8.8% from other races, and 2.2% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 23.3% of the population.
There were 562 households, out of which 32.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 55.3% were married couples living together, 11.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 24.7% were non-families. 19.6% of all households were made up of individuals. The average household size was 2.94 and the average family size was 3.37.
In the CDP, the population was spread out, with 27.0% under the age of 18, 8.3% from 18 to 24, 23.7% from 25 to 44, 29.5% from 45 to 64, and 11.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38.0 years. For every 100 females, there were 107.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 108.1 males.
As of the 2000 United States Census, the median income for a household in the CDP was $37,262, and the median income for a family was $41,615. Males had a median income of $36,522 versus $30,378 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $16,997. About 4.4% of families and 4.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including none of those under age 18 and 13.6% of those age 65 or over.
Farm to Market Road 1314 forms the northeastern boundary of the CDP. To the southeast, its terminus is Porter. To the northwest, its terminus is located inside Conroe. It is also known as Conroe Porter Road.
Residents of the New Caney ISD section are zoned to Crippen Elementary School, White Oak Middle School, and Porter High School. Before the opening of Porter High School in 2010, students attended New Caney High School. Sixth graders previously attended the New Caney 6th Grade Campus.
The Texas Legislature designated both New Caney ISD and Conroe ISD (and therefore all of Porter Heights) as part of Lone Star College (formerly the North Harris Montgomery Community College District).
- Factfinder: Porter Heights. Archived 2020-02-13 at archive.today United States Census Bureau. Accessed on July 11, 2017
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- North Houston Airport. Federal Aviation Administration. Accessed on July 11, 2017.
- "2010 CENSUS - CENSUS BLOCK MAP: Porter Heights CDP, TX" (Archive). U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on September 11, 2015.
- "SCHOOL DISTRICT REFERENCE MAP (2010 CENSUS): Montgomery County, TX" (Archive). U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on August 20, 2015.
- "Elementary School Zones" (Archive). New Caney Independent School District. Retrieved on September 11, 2015.
- "Middle School Zones" (Archive). New Caney Independent School District. Retrieved on September 11, 2015.
- "High School Attendance Zones" (Archive). New Caney Independent School District. Retrieved on September 11, 2015.
- Micek, Kassia. "NCISD proposes new elementary attendance zones." Courier of Montgomery County. Wednesday January 12, 2011.
- "Secondary Schools" (Archive). New Caney Independent School District. April 22, 2010. Retrieved on September 11, 2015. "All sixth grade students attend the New Caney Sixth Grade Campus. The district will open its second high school in August 2010 when Porter High School starts enrolling students."
- "Conroe Independent School District Caney Creek Elementary Feeder Map School Year 2010-2011 Archived 2010-10-26 at the Wayback Machine." Conroe Independent School District. Retrieved on January 20, 2011.
- "Conroe Independent School District Caney Creek High School, Junior High School and Intermediate Feeder Map School Year 2010-2011 Archived 2011-07-23 at the Wayback Machine." Conroe Independent School District. Retrieved on January 20, 2011.
- Texas Education Code, Sec. 130.191. LONE STAR COLLEGE SYSTEM DISTRICT SERVICE AREA..