||This article reads like a news release, or is otherwise written in a promotional tone. (March 2012)||
- For the defunct art magazine, see: Portfolio, The Magazine of the Visual Arts
Type of site
|Owner||American City Business Journals|
Portfolio.com is a website published by American City Business Journals that provides news and information for small to mid-sized businesses (SMB). It was formerly the website for the monthly business magazine Condé Nast Portfolio, published by Condé Nast from 2007 to 2009.
Portfolio.com's April 2007 launch by Condé Nast was heavily reported on due, in part, to its large estimated budget reported to be between $100 million and $125 million (covering multiple years of operation), as well as the boldness of the publisher to launch a business magazine at a time when similar magazines such as BusinessWeek, Business 2.0, Forbes, and Fortune were struggling to sell advertising space.
In October 2008, the magazine reduced its staff by 20 percent, and changed to publishing only 10 times per year. The stand-alone website, portfolio.com, was merged with other Condé Nast Web sites, with advertising sales for the site handled by Wired Digital.
The magazine announced its closing on April 27, 2009. A sister company, American City Business Journals, took over the website. American City Business Journals is a division of Advance Publications and publishes 40 weekly newspapers about business in local communities and their companion websites. In June 2012 American City Business Journals re-branded the website to Upstart Business Journal.
As a print magazine, Portfolio's 100-person editorial staff was led by editor-in-chief Joanne Lipman. During her 22-year tenure at The Wall Street Journal, Lipman was involved in the founding of the Weekend Journal, as well as the Personal Journal. The Managing Editor was Jacob Lewis, the Design Director was Robert Priest, the Articles Director was Kyle Pope.
Portfolio.com publishes regular business news stories and comprehensive findings of American City Business Journals’ research studies, which are analyzed by Godfrey Phillips, Vice President for Research at American City Business Journals.
For the first time in 2010, Portfolio.com published the results of American City Business Journals’ “SMB Insights: The Business of Brands,” which rated more than 200 business brands across seven key attributes to determine overall rankings of brand strength. Additional studies included information on investing and brand-preferences by SMB owners, how SMB owners are using the Internet to improve their businesses  and how SMB are increasingly leveraging wireless devices.
Portfolio.com launched the U.S. Uncovered series, a monthly collection of exclusive, in-depth analyses of trends, produced by G. Scott Thomas, a nationally recognized demographer.
- Steve Smith (December 8, 2009). "The Return of Portfolio.com". minonline.
- "The Last Page". Advertising Age. December 15, 2009. Retrieved July 28, 2015.
- Stephanie Clifford (December 7, 2009). "Portfolio.com’s New Tack Diverts From Defunct Magazine". New York Times.
- Friedman, Jon (November 4, 2007). "Portfolio tries to live up to all the hype". MarketWatch. Dow Jones. Retrieved July 19, 2007.
- Fass, Mark (April 16, 2007), "New Money", New York Magazine, retrieved July 19, 2007
- John Koblin (October 30, 2008). "Empty Nast Syndrome: Portfolio Cuts 20 Percent of Its Staff; Reduces Publishing to 10x a Year". New York Observer.
- Michael Calderone (April 27, 2009). "Conde Nast closes Portfolio". The Politico.
- Carr, David. "Portfolio Magazine Shut, a Victim of Recession," New York Times (Apr. 27, 2009). Accessed Apr. 28, 2009.
- "Biz journals parent creates ad network". Talking Business News. August 10, 2010.
- Lance Murray (June 13, 2012). "Upstart Business Journal launches with focus on entrepreneurship". Phoenix Business Journal.
- Ben Mutzabaugh (January 12, 2011). "Huffington spars with flier over in-flight BlackBerry use". USA TODAY.
- J. Jennings Moss (June 3, 2005). "Fired U.N. Official Seen as Fall Guy". FOXNews.com.
- J. Jennings Moss (May 19). "An Obsession With a Vampire Slayer". ABC News. Check date values in:
- Moses, Lucia (2007-03-05). "Condé Nast Fills Out Its 'Portfolio'". Mediaweek. The Nielsen Company. Archived from the original on 2007-10-08. Retrieved 2007-07-18.
- Friedman, Jon (2007-04-16). "Portfolio aims for an exciting debut issue". MarketWatch. Dow Jones. Retrieved 2007-07-19.
- "Portfolio.com Makes Findings of Coveted ACBJ Brand Ranking Public for First Time". April 12, 2010.
- Jane Wells (April 12, 2010). "Most Trusted Brands for Small Biz". CNBC.
- "Big Banks Not so Popular Among Small Businesses". Reuters. May 13, 2010.
- "Small-Biz Success from Deeper Online Interaction". eMarketer. June 16, 2010.
- "SMB Owners Prove to be Fierce Mobile Warriors". PRNewswire. July 21, 2010.
- "Portfolio.com to Reveal Hidden Lifestyle, Business Trends Every Month". PRNewswire. February 22, 2010.