|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2011)|
|d'Artagnan Romances character|
|First appearance||The Three Musketeers|
|Last appearance||The Vicomte of Bragelonne: Ten Years Later|
|Created by||Alexandre Dumas, père|
Porthos, Baron du Vallon de Bracieux de Pierrefonds is a fictional character in the novels The Three Musketeers, Twenty Years After and The Vicomte de Bragelonne by Alexandre Dumas, père. He and the other two musketeers, Athos and Aramis, are friends of the novel's protagonist, d'Artagnan (see D'Artagnan Romances). He carries a sword that Aramis nicknamed Balizarde.
In The Three Musketeers his family name is du Vallon. In Twenty Years After, having made a financially advantageous marriage, he is first known as du Vallon de Bracieux de Pierrefonds, before he earns the title of baron.
Porthos, honest and slightly gullible, is the extrovert of the group, enjoying wine, women and song. Though he is often seen as the comic relief, he is also extremely dedicated and loyal toward his friends and fellow Musketeers. His eating abilities even impress King Louis XIV during a banquet at Versailles. As the story advances, he looks more and more of a giant, and his death is that of a titan.
At the time of The Three Musketeers (ca. 1627) he apparently has few lands or other resources to draw from. He was finally able to extract sufficient funds from an elderly lawyer's somewhat younger wife (whom he was romancing and later married) to equip himself for the Siege of La Rochelle.
Film and television
Actors who have played Porthos on screen include:
- Charles Martinelli, in Les trois mousquetaires (1921)
- Moroni Olsen, in The Three Musketeers (1935) and At Sword's Point (1952)
- Alan Hale, Sr. in The Man in the Iron Mask (1939)
- Gig Young, in The Three Musketeers (1948)
- John Colicos, in The Three Musketeers (TV movie) (1960)
- Frank Finlay, in The Three Musketeers (1973), The Four Musketeers (1974), and The Return of the Musketeers (1989)
- Alan Hale, Jr., in The Fifth Musketeer (1979)
- Valentin Smirnitskiy, in D'Artagnan and Three Musketeers (1978) and its sequels (1992, 1993)
- Oliver Platt, in The Three Musketeers (1993)
- Raoul Billerey, in La Fille de d'Artagnan (1994)
- Rex Ryon, in an early 1998 film of The Man in the Iron Mask
- Gérard Depardieu, in The Man in the Iron Mask (1998)
- Steve Speirs, in The Musketeer (2001)
- Anthony Strachan, in Young Blades (unaired TV series pilot) (2001)
- John Rhys-Davies, in two episodes of The Secret Adventures of Jules Verne (2000) and La Femme Musketeer (TV movie) (2003)
- Joe Jonas, in The Three Musketeers (Disney TV series JONAS)
- Ray Stevenson in The Three Musketeers (2011)
- David Ogden Stiers in Mickey, Donald, Goofy: The Three Musketeers (2012)
- Howard Charles in The Musketeers (TV series) (2014 - present)