Portland Breakwater Lighthouse, Dorset
The Portland Breakwater Lighthouse in 2012
|Location||Isle of Portland|
|Year first constructed||1905|
|Construction||cast iron skeletal tower|
|Tower shape||hexagonal pyramidal tower with central cylinder, balcony and lantern|
|Markings / pattern||white tower and lantern|
|Tower height||22 metres (72 ft)|
|Focal height||22 metres (72 ft)|
|Characteristic||Fl W 10s.|
|Managing agent||Portland Harbour Authority|
The lighthouse, a white hexagonal structure, was established in 1905. It was originally lit by oil, later changed to gas and is today lit electrically with a modern LED lamp. The lighthouse's current use continues to aid navigation of boats in the area, warning mariners of the breakwaters by giving a white flash every 10 seconds. The lighthouse underwent restoration in 2016. Surrounding the lighthouse are various defensive buildings such as pillboxes. The former optic from the lighthouse was placed in Weymouth Museum.
|“||"I was a supernumerary Assistant Keeper at Portland Breakwater Lighthouse in 1966 - I did 2 two month stints. We lived in one of the buildings, just down from the light tower. We had to climb them every two hours during the night to wind up the lens and pump oil up to the lamp. The breakwater was shared with about a million rats and each time you went out at night there would be a carpet of them fleeing from the torchlight. We took it in turns to go ashore for one morning a week."||”|
- Portland Breakwater (A Head) The Lighthouse Directory. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Retrieved 4 May 2016
- Breakwater Fort. "Dorset - History - Breakwater Fort". BBC. Retrieved 2012-11-21.
- Scribbles. "Dorset Maritime History". Pbenyon.plus.com. Retrieved 2012-11-21.
- "Foghorn Publishing ... Lighthouse Explorer Database ... Portland Breakwater Light (England)". Lighthousedigest.com. Retrieved 2012-11-21.
- "SDRS Catswhisker Contents - South Dorset Amateur Radio". Sites.google.com. Retrieved 2012-11-21.
- "Powered by Google Docs". Docs.google.com. Retrieved 2012-11-21.
- "Eastern Breakwater Portland Harbour:: OS grid SY7076 :: Geograph Britain and Ireland - photograph every grid square!". Geograph.org.uk. Retrieved 2012-11-21.
- "Portsmouth Breakwater Lighthouse". The Encyclopaedia of Portland History. Retrieved 20 March 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Portland Breakwater lighthouse.|
|This European lighthouse-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Dorset building or structure is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|