Portland Brewing Company
||It has been suggested that Governator Ale be merged into this article. (Discuss) Proposed since August 2015.|
|Owner||Florida Ice & Farm Co.|
Portland Brewing Company is a brewery in Portland, Oregon. A pioneer in Portland's early craft brewing scene, it was known as MacTarnahan's Brewing Company from 2004 to 2013 before resuming its original name. It is currently owned by Costa Rican company Florida Ice & Farm Co.
Portland Brewing Company was founded in 1986 by Fred Bowman, Art Larrance and Jim Goodwin; shareholder Robert Malcolm "Mac" MacTarnahan invested $25,000 and was a major backer of the company. In 1992 the brewery named a beer in his honor, MacTarnahan’s Amber Ale, which quickly became their flagship. MacTarnahan rescued the company from financial straits in 1998 by buying $3.5 million in debt in exchange for stock; as a result Portland Brewing began using MacTarnahan labeling. Portland Brewing Company merged with Saxer Brewing Company of Lake Oswego in 2000.
In 2004, MacTarnahan, then 88 years old, sold the company to Pyramid Breweries of Seattle. The Portland Brewing facility was renamed MacTarnahan's Brewing Company, and continued its operation and product line. MacTarnahan died later that year. In 2008 Pyramid itself was acquired by Magic Hat Brewing Company. This was subsequently bought by North American Breweries of Rochester, New York in 2010 and by Costa Rican company Florida Ice & Farm Co. in 2012. In 2013 the brewery announced it would return to the Portland Brewing Company name.
MacTarnahan's beers are still made under their own name by Portland Brewing Company, and have won many awards over the years, including gold medals at the Great American Beer Festival and gold, silver, and bronze medals at the World Beer Championships. Beers made by Portland Brewing include MacTarnahan's Amber Ale, Oregon Honey Beer, and BlackWatch Cream Porter.
- Foyston, John (February 16, 2004). "MacTarnahan's of Portland Will Be Sold to Seattle's Pyramid". Seattle Post-Intelligencer (Hearst Communications). Retrieved March 15, 2012.
- "MacTarnahan’s Brewing formally announces it is switching back to Portland Brewing Co.". beerpulse.com. January 22, 2013. Retrieved June 7, 2013.
- "Portland and Saxer Brewing Co.'s Announce 'Strategic Combination' ". Modern Brewery Age (CBS Interactive). February 14, 2000. Retrieved March 15, 2012.
- " 'Mac' MacTarnahan dies at 89". Modern Brewery Age (CBS Interactive). November 1, 2004. Retrieved March 15, 2012.
- Richman, Dan (April 28, 2008). "Pyramid Breweries Inc. Agrees to be Taken Over". Seattle Post-Intelligencer (Hearst Communications). Retrieved March 15, 2012.
- "MacTarnahan's Parent Sold to North American Breweries". Portland Business Journal (American City Business Journals). August 12, 2010. Retrieved March 15, 2012.
- "Cerveceria Costa Rica to buy North American Breweries". Oct 26, 2012. Retrieved May 21, 2013.
- MacTanahan's Brewing Company (official website)